Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

blacking out headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Super Cereal Admin

pshh... too dark

Name:  1-11.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  70.1 KB

The lights still shine plenty bright at night. Granted I have HIDs, but still. The thing about Niteshades is it still allows almost all the light to pass through it.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 PM
HCF Member

i was referng to hime hahaha i like yours reaper its like a perfect amount of shade

Old 02-22-2009, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

haha, how dark is too dark? i wonder if cops out here would actually care about something like that. i got tagged twice in one day with 15% tint on the windows.. so maybe they would lol

Old 02-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I don't know... I can see an officer pulling you over for it on a bad day. But seeing as all my lights shine through the tint no problem, I don't think I'll have too much of a problem with it. I figure worst case scenario, I get an equipment violation and a fix-it ticket. No points, no fine, and all I have to do is wetsand my lights

*edit: my taillights are flat-out blacked out. Yet the light shines right through it, even in direct sunlight:
Name:  2-11.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  41.5 KB

(sorry for the phone pic, I couldn't find one I took in the daylight with an actual pic)

night pictures for reference of how much light you'll get with the tint:

Name:  7-9.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  4-9.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  31.0 KB

[/picture whoring]

Last edited by reaper2022; 02-22-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

Wow, thats actually surprsingly a lot of light that gets through those tails in the day..

I'm gonna do this to my tail lights, and this thread definitely helped me out lots
And honestly, I can't see a cop pulling you over for something like that, if it's only that, unless it is really really noticeable.. or rather not noticeable that your brake light or turn signal is on.
I always see a tonne of vehicles with blacked-out tails so i don't see it as being a huge concern.. I mean I think cops have something better to do than look out for blacked out tail lights and head lights.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 AM
HCF Member

like the other thing i can think is go to lamin-x.com and get the film

Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well the headlights being tinted is not a good idea if you have standard headlights...
i had some headlight covers on my civic at first and it literly blocked half the light output. and it wasnt fully tinted...

but main reason cops will ticket you for is because your spraying over the reflectors... thats the main reason why they will ticket you. they dont care if you cannt see much. they want other drivers to be able to see you!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'd also like to think LEOs have better things to do than worry about tint offenses, but I know plenty of people that have been written up for window tint

Anyway, I don't think you'd be pulled over for just the tails, so long as the signals and brake/tail lamps are plainly visible in the day. In most states, there's a set distance you have to be able to see the lights from, but I don't know what it is in PA off-hand (I think it's somewhere around 1,000ft).

And yeah, with the headlights, I'd invest in better bulbs or HIDs before tinting them; I have HID projectors, so it wasn't a huge concern for me. Also, I'm not sure how covers and Niteshades really compare; it could be possible that Niteshades lets more light through, or they could let an equal amount through, I really don't know, but that's not here nor there. For taillights, I'd definitely recommend VHT Niteshades.

(off-topic, but when did you get awarded recognized member, Marcus? Man, I'm behind lol)

Old 02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya if you get HIDs your headlights output will be just fine just as long as you dont go to insane with the spray tint that is... the more tint you spray the darker it gets!!!!!

VHT niteshades is definatly the best tint you can buy to spray. i love this tint myself, but i like to upgrade to more lights inside my taillights before i retint mine.
i prefered to keep the lower clear section clear and move my brake lights and such down there. but that will quite some time before i start that. to much manual labor work needed on the civic in the spring for paint and most of my real money goes towards moding my truck right now.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Yeah, the extra lights are a good idea; I'm thinking when I get money, I'll probably upgrade to LED taillight bulbs just so I know you can see them

OP, I'd recommend some LED taillight bulbs if you black the tails... they're a lot brighter than the stock bulbs.

Quick Reply: blacking out headlights