Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Bird droppings on paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Default Bird droppings on paint

I have one spot on my car that had a white bird dropping on it for a period of time. I have washed my car at a car wash at least once since then and it didn't take the droppings off completely. There is still a light outline of the poo on the car, it won't come off when I have rinsed it and it doesn't look like it's going to come off easily. Will it come off? I have read that it can damage your car if you leave it on there, but it's not like I didn't try to clean it off, but I don't have the tools to scrub it, I just used to car wash hose and it just was too dried up to come off totally. I have been reading these horror stories about how it can leave some damage behind on your car. How likely is that? It's been on there for a while now, and I don't see any damage beneath it, and it's faded considerably. It's mostly off, but not completely- does that still mean trouble for my car? This is so depressing. I didn't think you had to clean bird droppings off immediately, I figured it would be harder to get off later on but I didn't think it would damage anything. Most of these websites are pretty much insisting that it would damage the paint, and that's so scary! What should I do? It's not this big, white clump... it's just that the remnants are still visible. I really didn't know that I had to clean it off right away. Please help me, this car is really new and I just don't want any damage on my car!!!

Old 07-13-2006, 09:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Bird droppings on paint

It will definetly leave a mark and a bad one at that. Try some wax and really get in there with a cloth it should come out...You gotta wonder what the hell these birds eat to do that much damage....

hahah

Old 07-13-2006, 09:24 AM
HCF Member

Next time take a paper towel or napkin and get it wet with plain old water. Bottled water works just as good
Place said wet rag on spot and start up car.....tune in radio or favorite song. Take a sip of said bottled water. Basically wait two minutes...120 seconds.
Use wet rag and wipe up bird spot....try not to scrub the spot as bird dropping have grit and abrasive components in it.
That's it..paint saved in under 3 minutes.

Yes bird droppings will actually etch the clear coat....you can try a clay bar to polish the damage off, but chances are you will always have a very MINOR flaw there. By the way bugs seem to have the same effect so wash them off after the long road trips.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:27 AM

Please tell me how you know that it will leave a mark?

It seems that people leave poop on their cars for long periods of time, and I just want to know why it causes damage and how you know based on the information I gave you!

Some car enthusiasts really depress me, no offense .. I really don't know why it has to be an automatic "YES YOUR CAR WILL BE DAMAGED".. How can you know that for sure? Why does one single bird dropping have to automatically indicate permanent damage? There has to be at least some kind of chance of it not leaving a mark. It's not like I didn't try to clean it off.

Sorry, I come to these threads for answers but sometimes I feel like I'm better off not asking because everything I discuss on here always leads to someone telling me I ruined my car

thanks for replying, but now I'm extremely depressed. I ran over a pizza box before and it left minimal damage, but a dried up piece of bird turd has ruined my car? It doesn't add up.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:32 AM
HCF Member

I really don't know why it has to be an automatic "YES YOUR CAR WILL BE DAMAGED".. How can you know that for sure? Why does one single bird dropping have to automatically indicate permanent damage? There has to be at least some kind of chance of it not leaving a mark.
Ah your chill man. Take some saliva (spit) and let it sit on the area for like 30 seconds and then lightly rub it off the rest with a Terry cloth or paper towel.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:34 AM
HCF Member

I really don't know why it has to be an automatic "YES YOUR CAR WILL BE DAMAGED".. How can you know that for sure? Why does one single bird dropping have to automatically indicate permanent damage? There has to be at least some kind of chance of it not leaving a mark.
Ah you're chill man. Take some saliva (spit) and let it sit on the area for like 30 seconds and then lightly rub it off the rest with a Terry cloth or paper towel. Next time you see dookie from the avian community on your car deaL with it ASAP!

Old 07-13-2006, 03:19 PM
HCF Member

its not a for sure it will wreck it but on every car detailing site and all detailers will tell you to get it off as soon as possible, bird crap also has gritt in it which can scratch the paint on your car..

Old 07-13-2006, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: CAB199

It seems that people leave poop on their cars for long periods of time, and I just want to know why it causes damage and how you know based on the information I gave you!

Some car enthusiasts really depress me, no offense .. I really don't know why it has to be an automatic "YES YOUR CAR WILL BE DAMAGED".. How can you know that for sure? Why does one single bird dropping have to automatically indicate permanent damage? There has to be at least some kind of chance of it not leaving a mark. It's not like I didn't try to clean it off.

Sorry, I come to these threads for answers but sometimes I feel like I'm better off not asking because everything I discuss on here always leads to someone telling me I ruined my car

thanks for replying, but now I'm extremely depressed. I ran over a pizza box before and it left minimal damage, but a dried up piece of bird turd has ruined my car? It doesn't add up.
Honey, calm down. Breathe deep with me for just a few moments.... in... out... in... out.

Ok. You feeling better?

Now, bird poop must be acidic or something cause yes. It will eat at your top coat. How do I know? If I had my camera on my I'd go take a picture of the most recent spot on my hood. (Go away for ONE weekend... bah.) Anyway, it's not a huge deal, and no one here is screaming bloody murder. Just lettin you know how it is. Follow their advice and shrug it off. The spot it will leave behind will hardly be noticible to anyone but you anyway.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:19 PM

you know whats worse... deer **** on the door handels.. not my car tho thank god.. but this one girl at school she was a bitch too after lunch she comes back smellin like **** all day..lol serves her right

Old 07-14-2006, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: JessicaRT

you know whats worse... deer **** on the door handels..
ROFLMAO...now that's funny
Like LBH above if I had a camera I'd snap a few pics too......You can avoid some of this by wax wax wax and more wax before the darn birds find your car. It won't prevent damage, but should help it out. SO you know..I've seen more damage by someone scrubbing droppings off then the actual acid spot....so let it soak...join NRA, get a gun (or cat) and hunt your local birds. Just kidding

Just because I will detail a car for 8 hours and not be satisfed with the shine left behind. THOSE people shouldn't be allowed to own a nice car if they won't take care of it in "my world"
And damage because birds diet of bugs, grit, sand, etc = corrosive, acidic poop.