Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

10000k need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 PM
HCF Member
Default 10000k need help

i just installed some hid bi-xenons on my ej finally. i've always wanted some since i was a wee tot. ordered mine off of a legit website cos ebay hids are just sketchy or so i hear. well i waited and waited for em, finally got em, and put em on. well i turned the lights on and they were a white-ish blue-ish with a tad purple. not the color i was expecting but still nice for sure.

i was wondering tho someone told me hid bulbs have to break in? i was wondering how long this period was if there even is one. cause i was really striving for that bright deep blue cos these are predominantly white with some blue. i figured 10 ks would be way diff. i also have them in stock housing (no idc bout no projectors foo') and they need to be adjusted some but i don't think that'd affect the color.

someone help me out please.
and please no 'anything over 6-8 k is useless' cos idc i wanted 10

Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

no break in that i know of? are you sure the ones you got is 10000K? pics?

Old 01-15-2010, 04:54 AM
February 2010 ROTM

look at a kelvin chart and see if its close to what you have, and enjoy not being able to see with the less light output the farther up the kelvin scale you go. Kinda the point of headlights but hey its your life.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Super Cereal Admin

After 4300K, the visible light output decreases (while ultraviolet light outputs increases, it's not visible to the human eye). In other words, 10,000K+ are pretty, but useless.

HID bulbs don't need broken in; what whoever told you that may have been referring to is the "warm-up" time the bulbs require due to the ballasts needing to charge up. It usually takes a few seconds with decent kits and OEM HIDs; with cheaper kits, it can take up to a full minute. If you notice when you turn the headlights on, they'll be extremely bright for a fraction of a second (capacitors discharging), then go dim for a few seconds (capacitors charging), then return to their normal brightness as the bulbs "warm up".

Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

only recomendation i have is dont flash your hids! when your turn the headlights on you want to keep them on for about a min before shutting them off otherwise your capacitors dont fully recharge so next time to turn them on its lower voltage COULD damage them little by little...
i never turn off my hids unless they are fully light to max brightness then i turn them off.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:46 PM
HCF Member

yeah i'm pretty sure they didn't send me the wrong bulbs, the box said 10000k but who knows you might be correct. i just saw on a few spots online that said hids take a 100 hour "burn in" time where they form to their true color. i didn't know if hids were like shoes and you had to break em in. and as far as initial start up, i do like the charge up. i've wanted hids for years and just seeing that makes me happy.

who knows they might or might not have a actuall burn in time. i hope they do cause i wanted way bluer. but they do have a nice color to them. i do believe in the burn in time but i don't think it's 100 hours. cos they seemed more bluer today and i've been riding around all day and night with them on. who knows i might be tripping.

and like i said above, i don't care about visibility i'm going for looks. plus, no matter what these are better than the silverstars i had. and i won't have to worry about apparently not beeing able to see in the rain, it's staying where it's at still it stop raining here in louisiana cos i'm so "rice" i wrecked my car and had to pull the hood off and rock it like that.

i'll try and get some pics up.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:18 PM
HCF Member

NICE! you drive around with no hood!?
and in the rain!?
lol

Old 01-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

LOL i drove my 96 civic in the rain with no hood.... i only had ONE problem.... i parked the car at work while it was still coming down hard!!!!!!! and when i came out from work i didnt change the plastic grocery bag over the distributor cap and it was full of water that once the motor got warmed up i guess the seal softened up and water got into the distributor cap and ran like crap.... i took the bag off and sprayed the inside with electrical cleaner spray and it helped most of it but still ran kinda slugish until i got on the interstate and drove about 10 mins, when i got home i took the cap off and let it dry for a few hours and put it back on and ran just fine

the distributor cap is the main thing to worry about without a hood and rain!

i drove my 66impala with no hood on it for about a week since i couldnt put the hood on by myself after pulling the motor to replace rear main oil seal and i did the plastic bag trick and it never had a problem.

everyone things its such a bad thing, but the distributor is the biggest weakness!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:09 PM
HCF Member

dude thanks for that tip cos i completely forgot bout the distributor. i do get some looks for not having a hood but i got my valve cover painted to match and some wire covers and an aem intake so it's gotta little bit of floss under the hood but not much. i got the blue tarp on it right now lol those are easy to find in louisiana with all our hurricanes lmao. but i just recently started going to la tech for collision repair and wrecked it and crumpled my hood like a soda can so i took it off. plus it was sticking up really far from where i welded my radiator supprot to high and flew up once sooooo...

everyone keeps telling me i should get a clear hood but i don't think i could. the motor looks alright but nothing spectacular. it'd be diff if i had a b, k, or j swap but i have a f*ckin d16y5! not even the y8, but yes a y5 with the infamous bull**** cvt tranny. i hear that 'e' at the end of vtec-e gives me like 20 plus hp! lol

actually just yesterday i pulled up to the honda dealership here, and everyone inside saw me outside and ran out and was like "okay sir lets sell you a hood today" lol. gotta love honda

Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya dont buy a clear hood... i hate those. plus its basically showing anyone what you got under the hood and if they see anything they like its all the more incentive to steal it! hondas are already to easy to steal!

Quick Reply: 10000k need help