Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Throttle body spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:20 PM
HCF Member
Default Throttle body spacer?

What purpose do they serve? and are they worth it?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Default RE: Throttle body spacer?

not worth it.

but they would only serve as A) increase intake manifold plenum volume B) an attachment point for vacuum lines (guages etc) or C) to "swirl the air" which is advertising bs. because if you "swirl" the air going into the manifold that is all fine and dandy, and would probably work if it didn't have to make a 90* turn into the runners, then flow around the intake valves and all the obstructions in the way.

now on a side note the "swirl effect" on the air might actually cause the air to enter into the manifold at a faster rate, meaning more air is available faster when your at wide open throttle. if you take a 2 liter bottle and fill it half full with water and then turn it upside down, the water just comes out of it quick and all over. now take the same half full 2 liter and make the water swirl as its being poured out upside down (think bathtub whirlpool when the water is going down the drain)and it gets out a lot faster and a lot smoother.

on a honda i have never seen any real improvements or heard of any, except bid advertising talk. but on certain cars they do help. i have a spacer on my jeep. they make a noticeable difference on a jeep 4.0 straight six but i think it has more to do with the design of the manifold whcih seems a lot more restrictive than a honda one.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:12 PM
June 2010 ROTM

lol, I was going to ask the same question tonight! I've heard similiar things, but I think I'm going to get one.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:27 AM
HCF Member

I'm gonna be brutally honest with this one. I have the air raid throttle spacer and I feel it was the biggest waste of $100 ever spent on my car. It's been more trouble then it's worth. The install took about 4 hrs to do because I had to bend the throttle bracket to make it sit correctly, which means I had to change the where the throttle cable was adjusted to. The car idles like ****, and after a night of driving it, It threw a cel at me. Granted I just had it turned off because it was nothing big.If you install the whistler on top it'll idle at like 2500 rpm. Even if you don't put in the whistler, the damn thing still whistles like crazy and it just becomes an annoyance. In the next few weeks I will be removing it though. I just have to find a way of getting rid of it now, lol.