Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Newbie: intake effect on mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:55 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Newbie: intake effect on mileage

Mine routinely did 40 MPG, so I got to see what it does now with this new intake...

Old 05-17-2006, 09:06 AM

a cat back on a stock motor will loose some low end power but you will gain a good bit on the top end. it also can sound liike **** because you would be cutting out a resinator, but the higher-end systems come with a resinator in its place and really make a difference in sound. ill find a sound clip of my beast when it was just stock with a skunk2 catback...

Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 AM

http://media.putfile.com/01-civic-ex...skunk2-catback

here it is ^ enjoy

Old 05-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Ei8

Just remember to keep the filter clean on the intake...that way, you get the most MPG. The cleaner the filter, the better MPG.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:51 PM

i just installed a cai and have not noticed a change in mpg. that might be because i keep flooring it though.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:58 PM
HCF Member

Form what I can see, MPG goes up if you are driving for ecnomy, but if you put the boot down, it's gonna lose MPG.

It's also going to wake up the neighborhood.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:59 PM

So will adding a DC Sports muffler add more power over just the CAI, or do I need cat-back or axle-back to get a result. I'm still confused about the cat- and axle. The cat seems to be at the front axles. What's between the cat and the axle-back if you mount an axle-back? Sorry if this sounds lame. My last car was a Porsche Boxster S. The freakin thing was already so fast I never bothered to modify it. Besides, I spent all my money repairing it!

Old 05-17-2006, 06:48 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

it will too add power. its one of the first things anyone ever changes on their car for the moderate gain at a fairly cheap price.

4-2-1 and 4-1 headers are the two basic designs.

a 4-2-1 (also known as a 'tri-y') takes the four exhaust ports, converges it into two pipes, than converges the two pipes into one...like this:

a 4-1 takes the four and converges them down into one pipe all at once..like this:

normally (doesnt always apply...), a 4-2-1 header will give you more low-mid range power. a 4-1 header will give you top end power. general consensus is 4-2-1 is for autocrossing adn street driving and 4-1 is for drag racing.

exhausts will add more power than an intake or header...usually about 4-8. they basically make flow less restricted...so its like blowing through a coffee straw (stock exhaust) vs. blowing through a mcdonalds straw (aftermarket exhaust). one thing you wanna be careful of tho is you dont want to go too big...because then you can lose exhaust velocity and actually lose power. its like blwoing through a paper towel roll...only not quite that extreme...

a K20 is a honda engine...and one helluva sweet one too.

dont drop it 3 inches...ever .

So if i wanted to buy a 4-2-1 header , what exactly are you looking for, are they similar to the filters in that they all basically do the same thing, so just buy the cheapest one?

Old 05-17-2006, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

not really. you want to get a decent quality one (IE Megan Racing or DC Sports) but dont pay too much for it. some ebay manifolds (XS Power, SSAutochrome) have been known to crack welds fairly quickly...theyre mostly hit and miss.

not all air filters are created equal.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Remi

So will adding a DC Sports muffler add more power over just the CAI, or do I need cat-back or axle-back to get a result. I'm still confused about the cat- and axle. The cat seems to be at the front axles. What's between the cat and the axle-back if you mount an axle-back? Sorry if this sounds lame. My last car was a Porsche Boxster S. The freakin thing was already so fast I never bothered to modify it. Besides, I spent all my money repairing it!
Mufflers are only good for one thing, making you louder. Axlebacks, pretty much the same story. When you hear "cat-back," it simply means that the exhaust pieces will start just after the Catalytic Converter, and go all the way back to the tip. A cat-back is definitely what you want to look for.

Quick Reply: Newbie: intake effect on mileage