Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: muffler question

ORIGINAL: my05civic

because the piping will be larger, allowing exhaust fumes to exit quicker, in turn, giving you hp
x2 plus ALOT QUICKER instalation.... can be done in anyones driveway with simple jack and jack stands... common tools and a can of pentrating oil spray

just unbolt the stock exaust system and then spray down the rubber hanger mounts and just work them off the steel hanger and jus tpull the pipes off... and just do it all in reverse to instal. VERY EASY! buy a quality system and it should all fit up with a perfect fit! no cutting no welding..... cannt beat that!!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:28 PM
HCF Member

IMO I don't think its worth spending $400 - $600 on a catback system which is going to give you ~5HP.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:04 PM
HCF Member

if you REALLY want a catback, go custom! ~$200-300 for pipes, muffler, and labor. all you gotta do is drop off your car and give it an hour or two.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:19 PM

i had one on a civic LX, honestly, it was from ebay and was dirt cheap. it came with a silencer as well. it was a "like N1 style muffler". the description was funny, it said "increases up to 15hp"...lol, i only bought it because when i first got the car i backed into something and messed up my muffler, bumper, and other thinks under the car. so i bought that muffler since money was tight, and welded on some new pipes. sounded really good though. wasnt loud or anything, but still sounded good when i was getting on the pedal some. (was also an automatic). thing was like $40.00 shipped on ebay. check them out. or you could pay more for brand name.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

the thing about ebay "style" mufflers is that they're hit or miss... mostly miss. they tend to sound decent for a month or so, but the sound deadening material gets worn out quickly and the muffler quickly sounds like ****. for mufflers, i'd DEFINITELY recommend a good quality brand

Old 08-19-2007, 07:24 PM

yea catback system is like $500+, then you got to pay for install if you dont know how, or lack tools... buying a muffler and having it installed is like, $50-80 all together. just go to a local gas station that works on cars as well, and talk to a mechanic. he will do it right there for 60 bucks or less, depending on time. usually takes about 30 miniutes to just weld on a muffler...if you talk to him about doing it after hours, they'll do it for like $25-30 bucks tops for the welding it on (after hours you can get around labor fees and the mechanic wont record it)... or you could even just clamp it yourself. welding is always more secure!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

my magnaflow muffler was $85; install was $45

Old 08-22-2007, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

i think I'm going with the greddy sport one justmuffler for now... anyone against stock pipes and aftermarket muffler welded on?

i also have an automatic tran, anything wrong with that?

looks like greddy sports performance only and RSR only makes catbacks....
can anyone reccomend me a muffler only? are magna flows too loud?

Old 08-22-2007, 04:44 PM
HCF Member

putting a new muffler on is just cutting the old muffler off and welding the new one on, it doesnt harm the engine, but i think ur making a mistake going for just the muffler, spend the extra money and get a catback system..... i bought a megan racing catback system off streetstyler.com for $350 shipped.... i like it its worth the money, id concider this
good luck

Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
HCF Member

okay thanks for the advice.
how does it sound?
and is it too noisy that you get unwanted attention / unable to hear music?

Quick Reply: muffler question