Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust manifold and cat advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:36 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
If you live in California, at least one of the two items will not pass emissions inspection there.

Also verify that your current O2 sensor will work seamlessly with the aftermarket manifolds because the need to purchase a new O2 sensor may make these units not seem like such a good deal.
...and how would I verify that O2 sensor would work seamlessly with the manifold before buying?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:38 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Tiran
Yeah, like I said, look around, don't necessarily use ebay and make sure everything will match and line up.

It sucks to pull something apart and then realize your new part is not what you need.

Also, why do you need a new manifold? is it leaking? not passing emissions? too rusty for your liking? these are all important facts. As well, what is the condition of your down pipe and the rest of your exhaust system?
The manifold IS leaking, does NOT pass emissions and is VERY rusty. Down pipe I am not sure, B-pipe is okay and I just put on a new muffler.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by FlipHKD720
oh dude i didn't even realize you wanted OEM replacement.....an OEM y7 mani/cat combo is pretty expensive, you could probably get the EX header and cat for cheaper. From there a shop could weld you a flange onto your stock piping so it will bolt right up the cat, and with a Megan headering being like $130, an OEM cat being like $140, like $25 for the custom flange and then the o2 extnesion like $30, you're looking just over $300, but you could go here: http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...94966218&Nty=1

and that looks like it'll work for much cheaper. Sorry for the confusion, i thought you wanted aftermarket man.
No problem about confusion...as for the Dorman OE replacement, are these units good? This seems to be exactly what I need and the company says it will fit my car...this is a manifold/cat combo.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by davidt222
...and how would I verify that O2 sensor would work seamlessly with the manifold before buying?
That's the key question. You would have to get the information from the seller and trust that the information is correct.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:25 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
That's the key question. You would have to get the information from the seller and trust that the information is correct.
Since it is an OE replacement, shouldn't it work?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Since it is an OE replacement, shouldn't it work?
That's what OEM implies, but it would be prudent to ask the seller to verify (buyer beware). In addition, you would want a statement from the seller indicating that you would receive a full refund if there were any fitment issues, such as the need to purchase or modify your primary O2 sensor.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

No problem about confusion...as for the Dorman OE replacement, are these units good? This seems to be exactly what I need and the company says it will fit my car...this is a manifold/cat combo.
i bet it would work just fine, it's not some $40 sh*t off eBay, it's just not right from Honda so it's a little cheaper than legit OEM.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

By the way, I recommend that you take Flip's advice on this topic as he is much more knowledgeable in this area than I am.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:54 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by FlipHKD720
i bet it would work just fine, it's not some $40 sh*t off eBay, it's just not right from Honda so it's a little cheaper than legit OEM.
I got the Dorman unit coming. Only $200 shipped to my door and with gaskets, bolts and everything need for the installation.

I started soaking the existing bolts already. The ones on the manifold cover came off easily. I think it is the ones that go into the head that I am worried about. This will be my first exhaust manifold replacement so I'm pretty nervous and stoked to do it.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:56 PM
HCF Member
Default So far so good...

The Dorman unit installed just fine. I also went with a new downstream O2 sensor since I couldn't get the old one out and I've had this CEL on for a while, figured it was toast anyway.

Passed my NC emissions and haven't thrown a code yet! Thanks to all for the help!! I am thinking of posting a DIY since I took quite a few pics.

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold and cat advice