Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust manifold and cat advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 PM
HCF Member
Default exhaust manifold and cat advice

I need to replace by '98 DX exhaust manifold and cat. converter. I believe I have the D16Y7 and I would like to save as much money as possible without sacrificing quality. Any suggestions on where to get OEM or suitable replacement to fit my needs? I prefer bolt on so I can do it myself.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
I would like to do better than $420. This seems rather steep to me.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:46 PM
HCF Member

For general header/exhaust mani advice: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=53044

there are only a few compnaies that make an aftermarket header/high-flow cat combo for the y7. If you just get an EX header (which is much easier to find and cheaper too) along with a universal cat, just bolt the header on and get the cat welded somewhere in the exhaust so you stay emissions legal. From there, either get an 02 sensor extnesion for your secondary sensor from www.passwordjdm.com or get an o2 simulator to clear that CEL you'll get since the secondary o2 sensor won't reach the new location of the cat. If you're planning on getting a cat-back exhaust, try and just find an EX cat and an EX cat-back exhaust from the same year and then no welding will be involved. Just bolt on the header, cat and exhaust (in that order) and you'll be set.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:49 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by FlipHKD720
For general header/exhaust mani advice: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=53044

there are only a few compnaies that make an aftermarket header/high-flow cat combo for the y7. If you just get an EX header (which is much easier to find and cheaper too) along with a universal cat, just bolt the header on and get the cat welded somewhere in the exhaust so you stay emissions legal. From there, either get an 02 sensor extnesion for your secondary sensor from www.passwordjdm.com or get an o2 simulator to clear that CEL you'll get since the secondary o2 sensor won't reach the new location of the cat. If you're planning on getting a cat-back exhaust, try and just find an EX cat and an EX cat-back exhaust from the same year and then no welding will be involved. Just bolt on the header, cat and exhaust (in that order) and you'll be set.
So do you think getting the EX header, cat and cat-back exhaust would be cheaper than getting the DX manifold/cat? Also, if I were to go with the EX header/cat/cat-back, do I still need the O2 sensor extension?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by davidt222
So do you think getting the EX header, cat and cat-back exhaust would be cheaper than getting the DX manifold/cat? Also, if I were to go with the EX header/cat/cat-back, do I still need the O2 sensor extension?
Switching to an EX or D16y8 setup will not be cheaper. I am pricing it out now and even using Ebay and the cheapest parts it would still cost in excess of 500 dollars.

Here is what you need to justdo it as cheaply as possible

NEw catalytic converter and manifold 1

New catalytic converter and Manifold 2

I found 2 under 200 in 10 seconds on Ebay, so just look and see what you can find.

Last edited by Tiran; 10-07-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Tiran
Switching to an EX or D16y8 setup will not be cheaper. I am pricing it out now and even using Ebay and the cheapest parts it would still cost in excess of 500 dollars.

Here is what you need to justdo it as cheaply as possible

NEw catalytic converter and manifold 1

New catalytic converter and Manifold 2

I found 2 under 200 in 10 seconds on Ebay, so just look and see what you can find.
Thanks, Tiran. That looks like exactly what I need! Can't wait to deal with these rusty bolts

Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you live in California, at least one of the two items will not pass emissions inspection there.

Also verify that your current O2 sensor will work seamlessly with the aftermarket manifolds because the need to purchase a new O2 sensor may make these units not seem like such a good deal.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, like I said, look around, don't necessarily use ebay and make sure everything will match and line up.

It sucks to pull something apart and then realize your new part is not what you need.

Also, why do you need a new manifold? is it leaking? not passing emissions? too rusty for your liking? these are all important facts. As well, what is the condition of your down pipe and the rest of your exhaust system?

Last edited by Tiran; 10-07-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

oh dude i didn't even realize you wanted OEM replacement.....a Megan header being like $130, an OEM cat being like $140, like $25 for the custom flange you'll need and then the o2 extnesion like $30, you're looking just over $300, or you could go here for an exact replacement for slightly cheaper: http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...94966218&Nty=1

Sorry for the confusion, i thought you wanted aftermarket man. I guess if you wanna drop like an extra $50 - $100, you could convert the whole exahust sytem to EX and get some gains, or you can get that OEM replacement from that site, up to you.

Last edited by FlipHKD720; 10-08-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold and cat advice