Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:09 PM
HCF Member
Default Custom Exhaust

EXACTLY what should i tell the exhaust shop i'm going to if i want a custom exhaust. I already know what muffler i want but i'll need to know the other technical stuff i need to specify with them. i believe i need 2.5/2.25 piping...

Old 10-10-2006, 10:51 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Custom Exhaust

First do you want crushed bent or mandral bent?

Old 10-10-2006, 11:17 PM
HCF Member

could you explain the difference between each? pros and cons? which one's better?

i'm thinking mandral bent...

Old 10-10-2006, 11:28 PM
HCF Member

Crushed bent.
Pro: Its cheap and most shop can do it.
Con: Pipe diameter is smaller at the bent which mean flow is slightly restricted.

Mandrel bent.
Pro: Diameter does not get smaller at the bent. More high flow.
Con: Cost more than crushed bent.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:30 PM

I'd go mandrel imo, don't want to skimp on something like this IMO. How do you tell the difference so our buyer doesn't get ripped off? I mean if he goes in there and says I want 2.5" piping MANDREL BENT NOW! And the guy does crush bent how will our buyer be able to tell the difference? TY

Old 10-11-2006, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

thanks for bringing that point up phishy. also, what price range should i be looking at. i know the muffler i want is about $120, but approx. how much will labor/the piping cost?

Old 10-11-2006, 01:12 PM

I don't know how much labor will cost but when I had my Bolt on system put on it took about 40 mins? And cost me 65$, however, I really should have done it myself because I watched them do it and other then some air tools, everything looked like it could have been done with your basic 139 tool set from sears. I'd imagine labor might be a little more expensive cause they'll will have to do a bit of welding for the hangers and it's going to be 1 straight pipe from the cat to the muffler. I don't know how much piping might cost, go around and get quotes from about 3 shops in your area. Compare what they say and then decide. But back to the question above, how will he know the difference between Mandrel and Crush bent we don't want our guy getting ripped off.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:02 PM

Mandrel Bend....the diameter of the pipe stays the same throughout the curves and bends. No "kinks" or "wrinkles" in the curves or bends.
Crush Bend.......the diameter of the pipe will decrease in the curves and bends. Also in the "hard" bends (sharp turns like something close to a 90 degree turn) one side of the pipe will be slightly "flattened" (outside of curve) and the other side of the pipe (inside of the curve) may be "wrinkled" in the curve

Hope this helps.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

Just pointing this out. But if you don't have a lot of cash, getting crush bent isn't going to be bad. Trust me, chances are you are not going to notice the difference. Seriously.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

i have a budget of ~$350. do you think a custom exhaust would be cheaper than a catback that's already assembled by magnaflow?

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust