Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Could I use this as a resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:37 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Could I use this as a resonator?

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

glass? melting out? hahaha. did you know what glass is? its melted and shaped sand. ever tried melting sand? doesnt work to well. thats what a lot of FDs use to put out forest fires.
well, it does melt, just at really really high temperatures. I hope your EGT's are not that high...

Old 06-21-2006, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: finalimpact

i use cherry bombs as resonators. but i also use a muffler after that. ive had no problems out of my exh systems at all while using cherry bomb glass packs. your exh sounds to be the same as mine. header, no cat, im using a 16" cherry bomb, and a magnaflow muffler. with this i get very little rasp and a nice tone.
Is it really loud? I don't want something that is really loud inside the car. I suppose Cherry Bombs are made the same as the Red Hot I posted in the link. I want no rasp, and a nice deep tone under accel, but just a soft pur at cruising speed.

Would it hurt anything if I ran dual resonators?

Old 06-21-2006, 01:00 PM

I would say that the cherry bomb and the Red hot are the exact same thing just listed under different names for marketing. You could run 2 but i dont thing it will help much i would run a long glass pac and get a good muffler like a HKS or something of that nature and it will help with raspyness. You will still get some at high RPM's because its a honda. Also leave the cat in of go with a high flow cat it will also help with getting rid of the raspyness. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:57 PM
HCF Member

glass? melting out? hahaha. did you know what glass is? its melted and shaped sand. ever tried melting sand? doesnt work to well. thats what a lot of FDs use to put out forest fires.
I've seen countless glasspacks burn out when an engine backfires. Fiberglass is different than real glass, which is made of silica. The thing is that the fiberglass in a glasspack is in a thin woven state, which WILL burn.

Steel wool burns which you wouldn't ussualy believe, but because it's so thin, it does. Anything with carbon in it will burn (the process is the reaction between carbon and oxygen), just at different temperatures.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs

well, it does melt, just at really really high temperatures. I hope your EGT's are not that high...
i dont think real glasspacks would melt out even if they put one on an F1 car. it takes some really extreme temps to melt glass.

ps. carbon doesnt burn...well...not well. when you burn wood or a plant or something, everything gets burned away EXCEPT the carbon...thats the ash thats left after combustion. try burning a pencil. whats left? ash and graphite. whats graphite? carbon. try burning a diamond. fat chance. whats a diamond made out of? carbon.

but yes steel wool does burn just because its so fine.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kahuna
Is it really loud? I don't want something that is really loud inside the car. I suppose Cherry Bombs are made the same as the Red Hot I posted in the link. I want no rasp, and a nice deep tone under accel, but just a soft pur at cruising speed.

Would it hurt anything if I ran dual resonators?
its not really loud inside the car. i can listen to my radio at a comfortable level. my old thermal cat back was louder. as far as dual resonators, it would be cheaper to just buy a longer resonator than have 2 welded in.

as far as glasspacks melting down, i wouldnt know i have yet to experience this problem.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 AM

You could probably just go to your local auto parts store and get a cheap glasspack for $20. That's about the same as the ebay one after shipping, but you get instant gratification.

If you use it instead of a resonator, in addition to another muffler, it will probably be quieter than if you use a resonator.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:08 AM
HCF Member

cheap glasspacks sound like ***. cheap anything sounds like ***. they dont act like resonators...just sound dampeners...and they only change the pitch. keep your eyes out for a good, high quality something.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:06 PM
HCF Member

cheap glasspacks sound like ***. cheap anything sounds like ***. they dont act like resonators...just sound dampeners...and they only change the pitch. keep your eyes out for a good, high quality something.
define your definition of ***.......... my exh sounds great with a glass pack inline. keep in mind alot has to do with the muffler, piping diameter, piping length also.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

I guess I don't understand how the resonators on these cars work, I thought they were just a glorified glasspack just like all the aftermarket mufflers?

Quick Reply: Could I use this as a resonator?