HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Tub's Civic Story

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 PM
HCF Member

well got some stuff done today, got it started. but im leaking a ton of coolant from the thermostat, the upper hose, and the lower hose. i might be leaking a little gas. and i think im leaking a little oil. also my axles are spinning while im in not in gear. so something about the transmission is messed up. shifting is kinda hard too. maybe a bushing? or could that be cause i have low transmission fluid? ugh there is so much wrong still...

Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM
HCF Member

being another thursday i had plenty of time to work on my car. my friends colin and al also helped. we got a lot done. it started with getting the timing new timing belt on correctly, being timed right. then started the car. i figured out it spinning while not in gear is fine. when i push the clutch in it stops. which is supposed to happen... anyway it was running hard. so i put new valve cover gaskets in. then new spark plugs and wires. it ran like a champ. we changed the oil and put the new skunk2 springs on. it sits sooooo low. it looks sweet. then it took a turn for the worst. we went to crank it over again and start it. it went over a few times. then a little knock... then it wouldnt even crank. all the sudden coolant started coming out of the exhaust... i was so pissed. i knew in the best case it was a blown head gasket. but that was unlikely. it was probably a blown head or block. spent the entire like 40 min to take the head off. now that we have taken motor mounts off super fast and redid the timing belt like 5 times in the last two days. there was a chunk of metal in piston one. the block cylinder was cracked. coolant filled number one. the engine is toast. guess i have to do that engine swap faster than i wanted. which means not a lot of money. so i guess it will just have to be a b16... it will still get up to 200 hp or i think it will. which is fine. i just want to drive at this point. but any input would be great. ill get some pics up soon.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 PM
HCF Member

you should just do a gsr swap for now. more bang for your buck. b18c1 = 170 hp.
yeah, i'm having issues with my swap too. over-heating. i can hear a hissing coming from around the intake manifold, and there is always coolant behind the fuel injectors on the intake manifold. oh well, just means more parts replaced, and higher reliability maybe.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:43 AM
HCF Member

i think ill just end up doing f23. 150 hp with vtec. it will be fun to drive for a while. then h22 head like i wanted. the motor i can get for like 800-1000. i have around 600 now for parts. maybe next pay check i can order it.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:08 PM
HCF Member

it miiiight be more than $600 to get it in, depending on the route you use. remember, F/H series motors use a hydraulic clutch/shifter assembly. Your Civic uses a cable clutch, and metal linkage. If you want to re-use your Civic transmission it's a good $1000 or so for the F2D plate or whatever it's called. You cannot re-use your stock mounts or the F23 mounts on the EF chassis.

here's a kit for straight up f23 motor/tranny into EF chassis. Explicit Speed Performance
actually, that's a lot cheaper than i thought... look around that site if you haven't. that kit comes with an adapter to use a clutch cable on a hydro transmission + mounts.

F series transmission apparently isn't great, but i don't know much about it.

buy the mounts and stuff you need first, then buy the motor. you'll thank me later lol.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:19 PM
HCF Member

personally i cant see spending 500 bucks on a motor mount kit. cant i just make my own... bend/weld metal and stuff. i dont think it will be too hard. but still im a pretty make it work type of person...

Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 PM
HCF Member

HAHAHA, all I can say is have fun fitting an f/h in an ef. Your best friend will be a bfh (big f'ing hammer). You need to pound a lot to make room for such a large motor in the one of the smallest bays. From what I've seen you will need to cut out part of the front support, side frame will have to be hammered in to clear the pulley (even had to do this on a friend jdm b16 swapped ef), firewall will have to be hammered in, passgender side trans mount will need to be cut off and new one bolted and SHOULD be welded in, brake booster may need to be dented, may have to relocate IAT, axles will be EXPENSIVE, hood will not close, need either an SiR hood (curves up in the middle unlike usdm that goes down) or shim the hood up, and a lot of wiring. H2B makes it a little easier, but you are looking at an easy $1000 just for the plate and clutch, still need a trans. Ef + H22= stupid fast car but imo not worth the time putting it in unless you are an ef enthusiast or something.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:26 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Scott53092
HAHAHA, all I can say is have fun fitting an f/h in an ef. Your best friend will be a bfh (big f'ing hammer). You need to pound a lot to make room for such a large motor in the one of the smallest bays. From what I've seen you will need to cut out part of the front support, side frame will have to be hammered in to clear the pulley (even had to do this on a friend jdm b16 swapped ef), firewall will have to be hammered in, passgender side trans mount will need to be cut off and new one bolted and SHOULD be welded in, brake booster may need to be dented, may have to relocate IAT, axles will be EXPENSIVE, hood will not close, need either an SiR hood (curves up in the middle unlike usdm that goes down) or shim the hood up, and a lot of wiring. H2B makes it a little easier, but you are looking at an easy $1000 just for the plate and clutch, still need a trans. Ef + H22= stupid fast car but imo not worth the time putting it in unless you are an ef enthusiast or something.
^^^ hit it right on the head... food for thought...

Old 08-06-2011, 03:02 PM
HCF Member

ok. so does that mean the only like logical engine to get is another d series... cause my car was super slow. i really want good engine in there and by the looks of it i have allll fall and winter to work on it. cause it dont seem like it will be running any time soon. and i sure as hell am not driving it in the snow. so maybe i can fit a f or h in the civic. i mean im fine cutting the thing apart for it to fit lol. i just want something to work on. and this has all been fun. so idk. any positive input would be great. i dont mind you saying dont do this and that. but at least suggest something i should do lol. is it gonna be a turbo d? or what do i move up to...

Old 08-06-2011, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

and i think i might have to work on the non motor parts this summer. then maybe next summer put a new engine in it. i can also cut the engine bay to make room this summer and stuff like that. i kind of want to try a rear disc conversion. i just want to keep making progress and i have no clue what to do with the motor right now. so im gonna take some time to think right now. i just have no clue what to do. i want it to end up being kinda quick and look really slick and stuff. i guess i just need to take things one step at a time and keep working to a solid goal then eventually it will get their right? but yea. thanks again for everyone who has said anything. it all helps.

Quick Reply: Tub's Civic Story