HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Tub's Civic Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:30 AM
HCF Member

I did do a lot of coolant changes which actually helped the idle, so I think the bubbles were right. After that it would run better so I tried to shift it into gear. It would not go. I saw this Click and Clack thing a while back about a car that the flywheel had fused to the clutch, I think this happened to me. I decided to put it in first with the car off and start it. The car lurched forward and then stalled. But now I could shift with the car on. So I consider it a victory. I also changed transmission fluid in it, now it’s not dark black.

Now everything was perfect. I took the emergency brake off and I didn’t start rolling down my drive way. I was confused because there is a pretty decent slope. Turns out one wheel was rusted stuck... so I bashed it with a hammer, put some lube in there. Took the brake off again, rolled down the drive way. I took my first lap around to block in 7 months!!! Only major problem is when I press the gas pedal and let go it does not come back up. I need to slide my foot under it and pull it up. I think I need a new spring or something.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 AM
HCF Member

And to cvcrcr I think your right, but when I started it it was just the story and I didn't know if I was going to be posting a lot or not so I just made it here. sorry =( I figure no one could yell at me here for being in the wrong spot.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 AM

No need to apologize. It just looks like a project thread to me, so I threw that suggestion out there.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:43 AM

If you want this moved to the project section and/or renamed, let us know. We'll move it.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

OK well you can move it to project thread then. go ahead and keep the title the same.

btw got my license plates today. time to go cruising and see if my civic can withstand my learning to drive stick/newly rebuilt engine.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

just over 22 miles on the civic so far. running alright, i have an o2 sensor problem that i guess ill work on. i ordered some new bosch spark plugs, looking for wires right now. maybe that will help the idle problem. if not i should replace them anyway =) besides that i now have a small coolant leak. so i have to find that. im jacked to finally have a civic.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 PM
HCF Member

so 30.7 miles in my civic broke down. the clutch is shot. the guy who sold me the car said it was bad so he gave me a new one free with the car. he had all the parts to fix it, i think he just didnt want to spend the time or money to fix it. so he sold it to me. but yea, i think i will fix it soon.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 PM
HCF Member

this is a great thread. good job bringing that poor little civic back to life. Its good that you have to learn how to change your clutch now, because its something we all have to deal with eventually...unless you want to drive a slushbox :P

keep up the good work. maybe some pictures are in order now that this is in the project section? I dunno, just an idea

Old 07-14-2011, 07:07 PM
HCF Member

Small update. I spent 10 hours today on my day off of work on changing the clutch, I don’t know how long it is supposed to take, but I don’t even have the transaxles off yet. I keep having problems with the l stud like things on the tie rods. There is the cotter pin and the castle nut (or that is what I know them as) and I can get those off but pushing the stud threw is a pain for me. I don’t get it. I even went and got a two jaw puller, and I still can’t get it. I have ruined everything about the suspension so far, so I will be replacing a lot. Not that it is a bad thing, the civic needs it. If anyone has tips about the studs or whatever the technical name for them is please let me know. Any advice I can get I will take. I also need a new exhaust system, the car came with a muffler broken off, so I need a cat back system for sure, and my header is rusted and I don’t like the look of rust so I need a new header. So I guess it’s a full exhaust system. I also think I might replace the flywheel since I will have the transmission out. Any recommendations would be nice. I guess this is more of an "I need help" thread and less of a “look at my civic” thread. But I hope you guys can help and thank you again for everything you have already helped with.
About the pictures I will try to take some and upload them tomorrow, but it may rain.
Thank you all,
Tub

Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 PM
HCF Member

I can help with this! I LOVE THESE CARS. =D
I'm from Canada, ha ha. Hard to find rust free cars here.
So anyways, to get the tie rod ends loose from the steering knuckle/spindle assembly, what you do is thread the castle nut onto the tie rod stud, and pound on it with a hammer. Seriously. If you decide to just replace the tie rod ends, if you messed up the threads, it's not too bad to do. They're only like $20/each at a part store. I broke a 2 jaw puller trying to get it out before, ha ha, hammer is the only way!
for the lower one, with the car on jack stands, put a jack under the steering knuckle to raise it up (compressing the suspension). you can fit a big socket wrench between the lower control arm, and the knuckle. here's a video: ‪Honda/Acura painless ball joint separation‬‏ - YouTube
I rebuilt my suspension, it was quite the adventure. If you've got questions I'll help you!
As far as flywheel replacement, just get it resurfaced and lightened while you're at it.
Cost me $75 at a machine shop. It's a minor performance gain.
You should try and find a 5 speed transmission to swap in. That will make a huge difference. You might as well since you'll be swapping the clutch and stuff. The best transmission I think is the Civic Si or CRX Si transmission. Check Craigslist or a local car forum, or pull one from an autowrecker yourself, ha ha. It's not fun to do, since 3 of the motor mounts are mounted to the transmission, you might as well drop the motor to swap the stuff. It's a lot easier.

(my longest post ever)

Quick Reply: Tub's Civic Story