HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Tub's Civic Story

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by tuboflard
and i think i might have to work on the non motor parts this summer. then maybe next summer put a new engine in it. i can also cut the engine bay to make room this summer and stuff like that. i kind of want to try a rear disc conversion. i just want to keep making progress and i have no clue what to do with the motor right now. so im gonna take some time to think right now. i just have no clue what to do. i want it to end up being kinda quick and look really slick and stuff. i guess i just need to take things one step at a time and keep working to a solid goal then eventually it will get their right? but yea. thanks again for everyone who has said anything. it all helps.
hmm... either try finding a d16z6 or d16y8 and swap that in, maybe rebuild it with forged internals so you can boost as well if you're ambitious enough.
Either that or do a B series swap.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:16 PM
HCF Member

i dont want to stay with d. i know that for sure. i really want to go f series because the redline is low. so with new springs and valves and stuff you can gain a lot of horsepower, along with the fact that the compression is low so there is a lot of potential their too. and it is a fairly rare swap... i guess ill just see what happens. for now ill work on cleaning up the shell. if anyone needs any engine parts hit me up. =)

Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

ok so a little update. my friend has been convincing me to go f20b. upgrade some internals (pistons, valves, springs, head gasket) to get a decent compression out of it. around 12:1 or 13:1. also increasing the red line from 7600 to 8000-8500. then he said to get a f to d plate for the transmission because d series transmissions can take a lot of beating... or that is what he said. if someone can confirm this it would be great. he said the gears are "stubby" whatever that means. so i can stick with my cable driven clutch... or i think i can. he says get a transmission out of a 97 civic ex or something like that. he said i could push up to 300 hp pretty easy. now its just about getting the motor in the car. this is where pics come in.

so first off i lowered the car. here is some pics.
Name:  2011-08-04192132.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  121.1 KB
Name:  2011-08-04192147.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  114.1 KB
so i like the look of it a lot. i still think there is a tiny bit to much wheel well spacing. maybe 14 inch or 15 inch rims. nothing huge, just something to cut the gap.
so now we move on, with the car looking cool i have to replace the engine so i guess ill take everything out of the engine bay right?
Name:  2011-08-08081453.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  178.5 KB
so that is one day of taking stuff out of the engine bay. i should get more out thursday.

it got dark out and me and my friend al were not ready to stop so we started taking apart the block to learn how it works a little better. now when we get the f20b we know what to do and what not to do. while taking it apart we found this.
Name:  2011-08-07225257.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  114.5 KB

so this little thing in the top right, here is a closer picture

Name:  2011-08-08082700.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  82.7 KB

so here is what i think happened. i unbolted the ac bracket. which has thread lock on it. when i undid the bolt the 21 year old block broke off a tiny bit and let the bolt loose. that tiny chunk fell into the oil. i plugged the holes with short screws and did an oil change, the piece of metal did not come out. the little metal chunk some how made it into the engine and broke my block... so it was not someone dropping a nut into the intake. i just noticed threads on it so i assumed. but no one really messed up, it was just **** luck. anyway it is all good. ill get a new engine and have lots of fun. and that is the point of this. so sorry for the long post, but thank you to all of you who read this. hope to have more stuff done soon.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

ah, well that sucks. but at least you're on your way to a really fun swap! I plan on going H2B and then later on down the line turbo it....

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 PM
HCF Member

I've kinda been looking into the f22/h23 hybrid swapped into the EF now... with some boost... Dang you Tub! Getting ideas in my head. ><

Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 AM
HCF Member

i mean for me any swap is going to take a very long time. which is fine. i just need something to keep me busy, that is the point of this project. so i am looking into rear disc conversions. and i might paint the whole car, seeing how the engine bay is going to be empty soon.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM
July 2010 ROTM

You need to find a DA integra parts car. Thats where you will get teh brakes you need. Beefier suspension bits as well. If you choose to go B later on, snag teh a/c components off of it as well.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM
HCF Member

You need to find a DA integra parts car. Thats where you will get teh brakes you need. Beefier suspension bits as well. If you choose to go B later on, snag teh a/c components off of it as well.
yea, i looked into the parts car. but i think i might just buy all new parts. skunk2 is my prefered brand, some people think they are cheep or dumb or whatever, but i like them a lot. so they make control arms and stuff. then i can just buy new wheel hubs/brakes/lines and stuff. it will be more expensive but then everything is brand new which i like. and i dont want a/c in the car, it adds weight. but yea thanks, has anyone done a rear disc conversion? i just want to know how much of a difference there is. like is it really noticeable.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 PM
HCF Member

drums = better performance overall
disks = better cooling + easier to maintain
Disks look better, and have further upgradability. However, honestly, in these cars the drums do just fine. So it's preference. I want to do it, I've read a stupid amount trying to figure it out.
I have rear disk trailing arms. Any non-ABS integra rear trailing arm will work, 90-00.
E brake cables? CRX Si or 90-93 Integra
Get a 4040 prop valve (can't remember where from), it is favorable for this swap.
Brakebooster and master cylinder from a 90-93 Integra will also be nice for better braking.
That's what my research has told me... but I've yet to do the swap...
Driving in my buddy's Integra (97), man those things stop well.

Front brakes? 23T/25T brake caliper bracket milled + a better caliper. There's a lot of options apparently. Be prepared to buy bigger rims...

With the upper control arms you're running, I think it might be best to get a DA Integra and just get the front knuckles, rear trailing arms, e brake cables, brake booster, prop valve, master cylinder, and swap it all onto your car. There's been talk about the integra knuckles being too tall and causing camber issues, but that can be corrected with those adjustable UCA's. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:37 AM
HCF Member

yea im thinking of buying all new parts. im really a fan of rock auto so i just look up the integra i need and can get all the parts. and skunk2 makes the trailing arms i think... and i am really a fan of skunk2. but with all new/aftermarket parts it will end up being about 1000 bucks, or a little more. so i don't know how fast i will get this project done. and i want to order an engine sometime soon because ive herd they take quite a while to ship. i wont be able to get it in till next summer but i would like to have it to work on now. and lastly since im taking everything apart im going to paint the car. as of right now i want to paint it white. but i don't know for sure yet. bright glossy white with tinted windows and stuff. its going to be a summer car so the white will keep it cool right? =) i also have been taking off the black trim and bumper to be repainted satin black. haven't seen what they look like yet. i hope they look good.

Quick Reply: Tub's Civic Story