HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

trustdestruction's Civic del Sol Si Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:59 PM

Yeah, I've tried the belt conditioner. All it does is mask the problem and then it comes back.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:04 PM
HCF Member

Is the tensioner tight at all times? How old is the belt?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:09 PM

The idler pulley is firmly in place. The belt is only a couple thousand miles old.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Got the belts nice and snug, no more squealing!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:45 PM
HCF Member

Any updates??? It's been kinda quiet from everyone lately with school and all.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:12 PM

LOL I was typing this message during your post. How coincidental.

Okay so first things first. Today I got my head studs in the mail. Got them on the cheap side, $77.50 shipped. The owner of them lubed up the threads for installation and then within the next few days ditched the D-series project altogether. So that's the only thing "wrong" with them that makes them not a perfect BNIB set... but it doesn't matter.
So, I need to save my money now for a couple weeks and then send the head off for the Stage 1 package at Performance Porting & stronger exhaust and intake manifold studs/nuts. I just need to pick up some coolant and some oil before the install. It should be pretty straightforward. I've never removed a head before, but it looks like the most PITA part will be the intake manifold. But whatever, it'll be easy I think... considering I've changed a timing belt on this and a timing belt on a D15B7.

And let’s see... uh, today I got contacted by someone wanting my old del Sol taillights. He said his brother works at a machine shop and might be able to make me the adapter plate I need and he would trade me that for the taillights. I sent him all the dimensions and everything for the adapter flange and he’s gonna let me know if his brother can do it. If he can, we’re gonna trade the tails for the adapter plate, and for shipping I will pay shipping for the adapter plate and he will pay shipping for the taillights.

Now, on to some unrelated parts... My damn wiper arms chipped off AGAIN, this is like the 3rd time. I put some newspaper on the windshield and cowl and hit the arms with some black caliper paint as a temp fix, lol. So, I am tired of this crap, so I decided to order new arms from Honda, which will come with the factory black rubberish-coating on them and I should not have this problem again for a very very long time. They were only $35 a piece, and it was pissing me off a lot, so I figured i'd just go for it.

Also, a long time ago I was removing the panel the 3rd brake light is on and broke a plastic tab or two on the back of it. Now it sits crooked and not flush with the b-pillar roll bar. So, I ordered a new one of those. It was pretty pricey ($150) wand I wish I had not broken the first one, but whatever. At least now I won't have to look at it anymore.

Sometime later on I'm gonna buy new windshield molding (current is old and faded, some parts are coming off, etc.) and some new a-pillar/roof rail and b-pillar/roll bar seals.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:05 PM

F it.

I decided I am buying a new guitar first (as in before the head work). Should only take a week or two to save up for it though.
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegorySA182593

Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 PM
HCF Member

Glad to see you made some progress towards the turbo setup. I know what I'm doing when it comes to engines for the most part and I can do most demanding repairs and modifications with little guidance and taking my head off was easy. I know you know atleast as much as I do and really the intake manifold isnt that big of a deal. You can almost pull the head off without unbolting the IM from the t-bracket lol. Its really just loosen the tensioner, remove the valve cover, the distributor, remove your short ram, hoses, sensors, unbolt both manifolds and get some help prying and removing the head after you remove the studs. The only thing that sucks is all the oil that pours out the bottom as you pull the head so have something to set it on rather quickly unlike myself lol.

As for the guitar, its understandable seeing as I have played a similar Ibanez and I love the way they play as well as sound.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 PM

Oh really, the intake manifold can just sit there on the T-bracket?????????????

HELL YEA

But how do you get the head off with the intake manifold studs still sticking through the bolt holes in the manifold?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 PM
HCF Member

Well I said almost lol. Here is my story... When I did my head gasket I removed everything myself no problem and the last thing I did was unbolt the exhaust manifold and intake manifold from the head. Then I pulled the exhaust manifold away from the head and pulled it to the side so it didnt have the holes lined with the studs. I didn't realize that the Intake manifold had the t-bracket under it because I wasnt thinking abou it at the time so somehow we pried the head up to lift the dowels out of the block and then away from the intake manifold. But after I reinstalled it, it was so much easier with the IM unbolted from the t bracket. My point was that since its possible to leave it on and remove the head, then removing the bracket will be really easy. Its one of the simple things actually.

Quick Reply: trustdestruction's Civic del Sol Si Project