HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

trustdestruction's Civic del Sol Si Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Took out my main relay and re-soldered the connections on it. Randomly, I had trouble with the car starting sometimes and RonJ recommended I take a look at the main relay. One of the solder joints appeared to have a weak connection. I touched them all up.
Also, for some reason the clamps on both of my radiator hoses, on both ends, had came loose (they're the kind with the screw clamp). I retightened those and I stopped leaking antifreeze. Weird.

Sorry for the blurry pictures.
Before:

After: (don't worry, the black is just acid from the solder. it's fine)

Old 10-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Snail'n Admin

didnt know what you meant at first. No thats PB blaster i sprayed on the bolts to get it out easier it was still wet. I dont really notice any vibrations...chances are cuz its only one mount that was fixed, but had i done more im sure i would notice a HUGE difference

Old 10-29-2008, 02:38 PM
HCF Member

hey trust for your soldering of your relay, did you just add more solder or what, im about to do it tomorrow see if my ef will start again

Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by jpnolan
hey trust for your soldering of your relay, did you just add more solder or what, im about to do it tomorrow see if my ef will start again
I added more solder. But when you do it, you have to make sure you melt the original solder at the same time. To do this, hold the soldering iron on the old solder to melt it, and while holding it there, then take your new solder and hold it against the spot you are soldering and the tip of the soldering iron. This way, all the solder will melt into one glob of solder. When pulling the soldering iron away from the solder, do it in a quick upward motion, it makes the solder less likely to get everywhere and makes it cleaner.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
HCF Member

alright thanks a ton bro. god i hope itll start after this........ ill let you know tmmr tks again

Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by GReddy_Civic
didnt know what you meant at first. No thats PB blaster i sprayed on the bolts to get it out easier it was still wet. I dont really notice any vibrations...chances are cuz its only one mount that was fixed, but had i done more im sure i would notice a HUGE difference
Thanks. Just wondering because I plan soon to replace some engine insulators and mounts in my Civics.

Trust: Did you notice any reduced engine vibration when you installed your new insulator?

Old 10-29-2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ
Trust: Did you notice any reduced engine vibration when you installed your new insulator?
A little. But it was so minimal that it could be all in my head. Definitely feels better to know that it's not torn now though.
I'm sure though if it had been a main motor mount I would have noticed a bigger difference.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
A little. But it was so minimal that it could be all in my head. Definitely feels better to know that it's not torn now though.
I'm sure though if it had been a main motor mount I would have noticed a bigger difference.
How about when you run the A/C, given that the insulator sits next to the A/C compressor?

Last edited by RonJ; 10-29-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by jpnolan
Does the fuel pump fail to prime? If the pump primes, then resoldering the main relay won't do much.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ
How about when you run the A/C, give that the insulator sits next to the A/C compressor?
Actually, now that I think about it, yea, when I turn the A/C on there is a lot less vibration than with A/C on prior to replacement of the mount/insulator.

Quick Reply: trustdestruction's Civic del Sol Si Project