HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Sov's Build FINISHED 5/19 (pics pg 14)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 05:16 AM
Default RE: Sov's Build

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

ORIGINAL: SovXietday
1st to 1.762 2nd was nasty bad, I was landing somewhere in the range of 3900 when I shifted, which would cause the car to MEGA bog, and not to mention it just sucked for daily driving. Had the rev the car pretty high in 1st in order to get a decent shift into 2nd. The new gearing however, wow, it's great. The shorter 3rd and stock 2nd really completes the transmission, just makes the car feel so much more sporty.

If you're looking for a clutch, I'm definitely going to suggest the Action line. They've been making clutches for longer than CM, ACT, etc, and they're damn good at it. The Action 2MD has a great feel to it, it's good and solid yet it isn't like an on off switch. It grabs hard but doesn't grab harsh, and best of all, the damn thing doesn't slip.
Good to know about the gears. Was a nice experiment, for us ha.

Is this the kind of clutch that leaves your leg sore at the end of the day? Let us know howit holds at325-350 or whatever you end up with.
Yeah the gearing worked out pretty good this time around, but if there's one thing I learned it's that sometimes you have to try a few things to get it all right. Don't get me wrong, the old gearing would be AWESOME for someone who road races, 2-3-4 were really tight and I was almost always in the power band and the car was outright nasty from a roll... but I'm a dragracer, I need that 1-2 shift like I need sex. [8D]

I have driven the clutch to work a few times now, through heavy traffic and all that good stuff. It's very easy to drive, the engagement is a lot less harsh than I expected, and the pedal has a good feel to it, it's stiff but no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Also, the unsprung hub is nice too, again the engagement isn't harsh it's very solid and not hard at all to drive. I actually like it more than my other clutch, it has actually made traffic a bit easier. All in all, it's a LOT softer than what I was expecting, and I really like it. I've seen these clutches hold 500whp so I'm not tooworried about it holding.

I'm probably going to run anywhere from 15-18psidaily driven on pump gas(93 octane).Then, whenever I get the chance and get a hold of some C10 (110octane)I plan to push somewhere around 25-30psi which should easily make a little over 400whp. But, one step at a time, I'm still getting the feel for the engine but hopefully should be pushing15-18psi bythe end of thisweek. Just need the weather to cooperate.

Kadewei pretty much hit the gearing on thehead.

3.25 1st gear (no otheroption, allDseries Honda trans' use thisas 1st gear)
1.909 2nd gear (the ZC has a 1.944 2nd gear,but1st and 2nd gear are both part of the Honda mainshaft, and I wasn't sure about putting a cable mainshaft in a hydro trans so I just stuckwith the stock EX/Si hydro second for that).
1.346 ZC 3rd gear (this is a HARD gear to find, they're getting rare. You'll probably have to buy an entire JDM ZC transmission to find it. Hmotorsonline.com has them for $150 which is about the going rate. I got mine for $200 shipped off ebay)
1.033CRXHF 3rd gear as 4th (If you buy the ZC trans, you can alsouse the 4th gear from that as it's the same.You will need to slightly modify the countershaft 4th gear, I sent mine toTransbone on dseries.org and he did everythingfor me for like $30 shipped back and forth.)
.771 CRX Si 5th (5th doesn't really matter, the .771 is a nice cruising gear, .702 is a stock EX but it's up to you. The ZC trans has a .871 or something to that extent if you want to use that gear.)
4.25 final drive, stock EX/Si.

Last night I brought the carback into my dads shop to change the oil, check for leaks, and open up the front bumper to expose the bling and let some more air in. Well, we popped the hood and found oil EVERYWHERE. Ah great... so after about 30 minutes of searching we found out that the brand new crankseal had been damaged and it was leaking oil like crazy. Thankfully it's a quick replacement (pull the old one out,put the new one in) and we were off again. No biggy there but I'm still checking for leaks to make sure that was it.

I should be able to get some video and pictures of everything tonight. Looks to be a nice day I may even decide to play with the boost controller a little bit but I'm a bit hesitant until I know that I fixed that leak. Meh, we'll see, should be hitting the track Thursday and hopefully getting on the dyno Friday so something numbers wise should be here soon.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I'm still surprised that this build came together exactly as I thought it would, lol.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:59 AM
HCF Member

with those gear's being changed...did that effect your speedometer? or does VSS still read it accurately.. im mainly talking about the 5th gear, but just to know in general would be nice.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

This is probably the best thread on HCF. Thank you for all the useful information Sov, much better than just saying what you have and leaving it at that. It's good to show the theory and angle behind doing things like this.

Keep up the fantastic work, I know you will

Old 05-22-2007, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

with those gear's being changed...did that effect your speedometer? or does VSS still read it accurately.. im mainly talking about the 5th gear, but just to know in general would be nice.
The VSS gear is on the differential so it basically reads axle RPM and converts accordingly.

Thanks Forty, I was searching your HT threads all day long on Saturday trying to wire that stupid dizzy lol. Stupid OBD2...

Old 05-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

The VSS gear is on the differential so it basically reads axle RPM and converts accordingly.

Thanks Forty, I was searching your HT threads all day long on Saturday trying to wire that stupid dizzy lol. Stupid OBD2...

HAHA, no ****... Did you get it figured out? If not, I can tell you exactly how to do it

Old 05-22-2007, 10:21 AM
formerly aryiman98civic

Sov i am jealous of you, i have been working on my project since Thanksgiving and i havent even got my car running right. good job on the whole build Sov, one of the best threads here on HCF for ppl with d series.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:34 PM

Kadewei pretty much hit the gearing on thehead.

3.25 1st gear (no otheroption, allDseries Honda trans' use thisas 1st gear)
1.909 2nd gear (the ZC has a 1.944 2nd gear,but1st and 2nd gear are both part of the Honda mainshaft, and I wasn't sure about putting a cable mainshaft in a hydro trans so I just stuckwith the stock EX/Si hydro second for that).
1.346 ZC 3rd gear (this is a HARD gear to find, they're getting rare. You'll probably have to buy an entire JDM ZC transmission to find it. Hmotorsonline.com has them for $150 which is about the going rate. I got mine for $200 shipped off ebay)
1.033CRXHF 3rd gear as 4th (If you buy the ZC trans, you can alsouse the 4th gear from that as it's the same.You will need to slightly modify the countershaft 4th gear, I sent mine toTransbone on dseries.org and he did everythingfor me for like $30 shipped back and forth.)
.771 CRX Si 5th (5th doesn't really matter, the .771 is a nice cruising gear, .702 is a stock EX but it's up to you. The ZC trans has a .871 or something to that extent if you want to use that gear.)
4.25 final drive, stock EX/Si.
I figured you used the ZC 4th, since you bought the whole ZC trans. Trying to find a HF/STD 3rd can be a pain, and finding a ZC 3rd by itself is even more of a pain.

Cable mainshafts don't fit in hydro cases anyway, so you didn't miss out on anything. Bisimoto is the only person I know of to make it fit with the use of shims. I think the 3.181-1.944 nets like a 200 rpm less drop. Not a huge diff.

ZC 5th is .878 I figured you wouldn't have used it. I wouldn't either. Basically what you have is the trans I want to build, except in a Z6 case so2nd will be 1.9. I also might try mfactory's 4.928 FD, my Y7s 4.058 FD, or a 3.888 depending on what all I do to which motor.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:07 PM

I found an HF 3rd the first time I built the transmission, so now I have two 1.033 4ths. One in my tranny and the ZC one.

ZC 5th gear is a bit on the short side for me. I've heard the 4.92 is a fun final drive, but it really depends what kind of power you're looking to put down and what you want the car to be mainly.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:38 PM
HCF Member

I have missed this thread for a wile now. But I just went through most of it. I said it before, and ill say it again...your carfu*king rocks! That build sounds so sweet, im so jealous that you know how to do all that yourself. Keep up the good work, and cant wate to see this vid.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:57 PM

ZC 5th gear is a bit on the short side for me. I've heard the 4.92 is a fun final drive, but it really depends what kind of power you're looking to put down and what you want the car to be mainly.
Werd.

Quick Reply: Sov's Build FINISHED 5/19 (pics pg 14)