HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Sov's Build FINISHED 5/19 (pics pg 14)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sov's Build

wow, cant wait til tmrw night, both you and Tyler are gonna have some nice updates on your rides cant wait

Old 05-18-2007, 05:36 PM

Busy day today, very happy with how far we got.

Started out with tearing apart the transmission. We took out the 1.762 2nd gear and replaced it with the stock 1.909, we also took out the stock 1.25 3rd gear and replaced it with a JDM ZC 1.346. My 1.033 4th stayed, this gearing is nearly identical to a stock GSR, the only large difference is the longer 4.25 final drive vs a GSRs 4.40 final drive.

Anywho...

Trans is apart, counter shaft is up on end, mainshaft is laying down. If you look at the bottom of the countershaft, you'll see a larger gear, followed by a straight cut gear and a synchro sleeve. When this picture was taken, that was UPSIDE DOWN, the straight cut gear (reverse) is supposed to be on top of the actually sleeve... that cost us over an hour of time to find and fix lol.

This is the rest of my collection of gears and tranny parts, NOT including what's in the above picture. Lol, too much to keep track of, let me tell you.

Trans pretty much assembled, and my ZC case laying on the side. We scavenged a few parts from it that I needed for this time (oil guide plate and the two countershaft gears).

Finally done.

Lunch, breakfast, and dinner wrapped into scrappy meal, lol. Eating comes later.

Z6 on the left, Y8 on the right.

Clutch specialties Stage 2 on the left, thing is SHOT! It scarred the pressure plate up a bit and the rivits on the other side were actually starting to show wear, lol! Brand new Action 2MD on the right, mmmm.

Z6 sportin the red.

It's FINALLY in, yet there is so much work to be done.

Intake installed, wiring harness plugged in, Dizzy repinned and plugged in (hopefully correctly...), and pretty much everything on the physical engine.

Mani, turbo, and wastegate installed. I actually had to shave about 2mm off the exhaust housing on the turbo in order to get some clearance from the top of the wastegate, it was a really tight fit but it's a pretty big turbo too lol.

Boxes and parts everywhere with the car getting fairly close to being done. This is what projects look like, cluttered, scavenged, tiring, but still a ton of fun and I'm learning a lot from all of this.

Tomorrow comes the real fun. Fabbing and welding the dumptube and downpipe, welding the bung in the oil pan and running all of the oil lines. We have to hook up the GM 3bar MAP sensor and run some longer vacuum lines to the wastegate. Then I get to tune, unfortunately it's look like we're going to be getting a lot of rain tomorrow so full boost pulls probably won't be happening till later this week unless I can somehow get lucky.

More pics tomorrow, and hopefully of the finished car.

But now I'm tired and going to bed, lol.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:56 AM

Did the first/second gap prove to be too much? Or did the gears just not meshquite right?

The motor looks awesome inyour carwiththe EL mani hooked up.

What's up with those Action clutches? I'm seeing a lot of them around (esp on turbod16 it seems), and have never heard of them.

How is the OBX LSD working out?

(Lots of questions, sorry. [8D])

Old 05-19-2007, 06:39 AM
HCF Member

Sweet build up man, that thing is going to FLY!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:39 AM
HCF Member

everything is coming together sweet Sov! That ram horn manifold is one of the nicest i think i ever seen. It really makes your setup look badass. good luck with the rest of the build and don't forget to get tons of vids for us!!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:49 AM
HCF Member

damn. Thats awesome Sov. I think youll have the fastest civ on this forum once your done.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:01 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Remmy

damn. Thats awesome Sov. I think youll have the fastest civ on this forum once your done.
Faster then Dustins when he is done?

Old 05-19-2007, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

Unbelievable Sov, I love this thread. Great Job.

What are you gonna do with the old y8?

Old 05-19-2007, 06:33 PM

Car is FINISHED!!! Pictures of today.

First deal of the day, building the downpipe. We had the old downpipe and exhaust, but it was pretty rusty so we did what we could to grind it clean.

We weren't planning on using this oil pan, one of the guys at my dad's shop was supposed to give me a good one. The one he handed me had a huge dent in the bottom of it, I laughed at him and told him to take it back, that's not going on my car. So, we had to deal with this one, we welded the existing nipple shut, and welded in a new 10AN female fitting. It's welded on the inside, we used a flange sealant on the outside just for second measure. Oil leaks are the worst.

My pop welding up the downpipe. ****ty welder + rusty metal + poor grounding = chicken **** welds, lol. Whatever, they held great.

A pic of the exhaust, don't think I've ever taken pictures of it.

Like I said, chicken **** welds, but they hold great. This is the finished downpipe. Oil return line is also on and ready.

Top view.

Dumptube is welded up!

Pretty much finished here! At this point the car was throwing a solid cel, we checked and double checked all of the wiring, 2 hours and we couldn't figure it out. The car wasn't throwing codes, it was just a straight solid cel. We finally figured it out, the tranny ground wasn't grounding correctly which threw the whole car voltage off. After that, it was just a matter of pulling a couple codes and quick fixing small wiring issues (forgot to plug in a sensor and switched two wires on the GM 3bar).

Tuning the car after we figured out all the cels. The Ostrich Realtime Emmulator is amazing, makes tuning so much easier. Took me 5 minutes to get the car to purr with the 780cc injectors and the Zex 59300 cam. 800rpm slightly loping idle FTW!

This is that time of the day when you just need something small to wrap up the little stuff... and you realize it made it's way to the bottom of the trash can, lol.

Over 5 months of building, planning, and researching, I absolutely couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

My pop got in the drivers seat and I got behind the laptop, slowly we started to tune partial throttle out, with a lot of engine braking to draw the small metal shavings that new rings pull out of the cylinders. After some time, we hopped onto the highway and gave it some wastegate spring (8psi) pulls.

HOLY ****! I don't really know how to describe it, the engine has a unique deep throaty sound, the 3" full downpipe is loud as hell, the ACT clutch is solid as a rock, the turbo spools a full 400rpms sooner, the tranny is damn near perfect, and the car rips all the way to 8200RPMs. The car has to be making something around 230-240whp with just 8psi, and when the wastegate opens up you're pressed nicely in your seat. I cannot wait for 18psi.

I'm off tomorrow so I think I'll probably get some video of it, it's absolutely sick though, all that time and money well spent.

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

Did the first/second gap prove to be too much? Or did the gears just not meshquite right?

The motor looks awesome inyour carwiththe EL mani hooked up.

What's up with those Action clutches? I'm seeing a lot of them around (esp on turbod16 it seems), and have never heard of them.

How is the OBX LSD working out?
1st to 1.762 2nd was nasty bad, I was landing somewhere in the range of 3900 when I shifted, which would cause the car to MEGA bog, and not to mention it just sucked for daily driving. Had the rev the car pretty high in 1st in order to get a decent shift into 2nd. The new gearing however, wow, it's great. The shorter 3rd and stock 2nd really completes the transmission, just makes the car feel so much more sporty.

I love the EL mani, it turned a nice gold color now that I've heated it up a few times.

If you're looking for a clutch, I'm definitely going to suggest the Action line. They've been making clutches for longer than CM, ACT, etc, and they're damn good at it. The Action 2MD has a great feel to it, it's good and solid yet it isn't like an on off switch. It grabs hard but doesn't grab harsh, and best of all, the damn thing doesn't slip.

OBX LSD works great, no noises, both wheels spin, has been in for going on 2000miles now (I drive 300 at least a week). I'd suggest it for sure.

The Y8 is going to get wrapped up and put in our shed, just in case the Z6 doesn't fair well taking on all the boost I have planned for it.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:38 PM
HCF Member

[sm=drooldude.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Sov's Build FINISHED 5/19 (pics pg 14)