HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Sov's Build FINISHED 5/19 (pics pg 14)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sov's Build

Yea, you are going to need some cooling. Maybe a water/meth or oil cooler or a double wide radiator. I would even look into a bigger oil pan to handle more oil.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

lol wow Sov.....what do you do for a job??
I work at Circuit City, selling TVs. ~30hours a week at $10.50 an hour. Needless to say this has been a very long time coming, I'm 18 and just graduated highschool so I took a year off and worked, needless to say I've been working towards this for a long time, paycheck by paycheck. Going back to school this year looking for an engineering degree or two.

As far as cooling goes, I'm going to see how the stock cooling does. So far it's doing just fine and I don't see why it will do any worse when the car is making more power. Reason's being.

1) I don't really get on the car a lot when it's hot out, and I don't get on the car during regular commuting. The turbo is so big I rarely even being to spool it on the Dseries, so the engine basically acts as stock when I'm just driving around.
2) When I DO get on it, it's for a short amount of time. No 5th gear pulls ever occur on this car.
3) Some drag Honda's don't even have a radiator, there's a 9sec Dseries who runs with a cracked block!
4) I constantly check the cooling system to make sure it is working properly.

I am prepared to get a Fluidyne and slimfan if the car proves to need more cooling, but we'll see. PA doesn't really get all that hot lol.

Bigger oil pan is a waste, 4 quarts with baffling is more than enough to supply the engine correctly, I just need to make sure that it always has enough oil.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:14 PM
HCF Member

Once again, Sov suprises us, Just when you think you fould something he forgot about, he thuoght about it. hah. Keep us posted Sov!

Old 05-05-2007, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

3) Some drag Honda's don't even have a radiator, there's a 9sec Dseries who runs with a cracked block!
If you run methanol or ethanol, it burns cool enough that a radiator may not be necessary doing 1/4 mile passes only. Some dragsters run this way.

A new radiator shouldn't be necessary for your uses. The only time an upgradedradiator should become necessary is with extend high rpm use, such as when road racing, or maybe running a very aggressive tune in a drag car that gets rebuilt every season.

I would recommend an oil cooler for any turbo build,but that's just a personal preference.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:15 PM
HCF Member

With those aftermarket aluminun rads, I never seem to see a fan on them. Whats the deal?

Old 05-16-2007, 04:58 PM

Ok, so I put the head on the block today. It was funny, my dad and I were bolting the head on with the engine sitting on the floor, and as soon as we got done I stood up, went to grab the valve cover that was sitting on the bench... and found the headgasket sitting in the valve cover.

D'OH!!

Oh well, it's all done now haha.

Tomorrow the Y8 comes out, all day Friday is going to be dedicated to putting the Z6 in and redoing the trans (again). Then Saturday will hopefully be putting the turbo pieces on, welding up a new DP and such, and of course getting the car good and tuned.

Long couple days ahead, but I'm excited.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:14 PM

Noobz.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

sweet, we demand pics lol, and what do you mean by doing the trans again, did you burn it out already and i missed it?

Old 05-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

hes going back to a stock 2nd gear and changin the 3rd gear i im pretty sure.

+1 on pics

Old 05-16-2007, 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: cpl rampage

sweet, we demand pics lol, and what do you mean by doing the trans again, did you burn it out already and i missed it?
Found out at the track that the 1-2 shift was just too long, the car bogged so bad that it ran out of wind and my times suffered bigtime.

So, I forked the money for a ZC trans, and am taking the 3rd gear out of it (1.346, 1.25 stock) and putting it in my trans along with putting the stock 2nd gear back in. I realized I was being stupid, longer gearing no matter what I do makes the car slower... so why the hell would I lengthen second when I can just shorten 3rd? Duh. That's a win, win!

Forgot to mention I will of course have daily pictures of the progress and hopefully the finish.

Quick Reply: Sov's Build FINISHED 5/19 (pics pg 14)