HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Sov Build Ver. 1.2 - EK Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sov Build Ver. 1.2 - EK Hatch

if i could find a shop to do that all for me and keep my stock color i would jump on it in a freakin second...

great find wish i had hookupz like you

Old 08-29-2007, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

what do they do when you say that you are gonna get your car prepped??

do you just fix dings and rust with bondo??

how do you "buff" the car??

sorry, but i usually paint my car myself and i don't know what those are

Old 08-30-2007, 04:15 AM
HCF Member

Preping the car is not only fixng rust spots and dings, but sanding down the old paint so that the new paint can get a good bond with it. Taping up the windows etc. would also be prep.

buffing the car is to "polish" the finish to provide a better shine.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Cat Fuсker

one thing you don't want to do yourself is prepping the car...especially if you never practiced on a buddies car. Especially if you don't have power tools to sand the paint too...take it from a guy who spennt 8 hours sanding and about 3 hours primering and sanding a hood by hand....not only was it a PITA, I also didn't like the results. Paint is something I'll leave to professionals..

Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

definatly... unless you have ALOT OF TIME and your ok with your hands going numb from block sanding for SO LONG... then take it to a pro.LOL also you have to be good at FEELING imperfections... which im preaty good at personaly BUT I STILL HATE SANDING!!!!
ive done all my own painting 100% and its definatly a hassle to do it right!!!!! BUT if its NOT done right it will be visable!!!!

cause every MINOR imperfection that you can see after priming will be 300% WORSE after painted!!!!!!!

thats why it costs so much.... i mean i can do it BUT sometimes id just rather PAY to have it done... to bad i never have the cash tho.LOL

Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

yeah, i just used a power drill to sand everything off, it works pretty well. it was pretty easy to get off all the old paint on my fender and just get it down to bare metal, so it doesn't really take that long for me. i think my fenders turned out pretty well, it's just that i used the gloss black instead of the nighthawk black pearl that i'm supposed to use, but i can't tell the difference until i get one feet from the car to analyze the paint.

how do you "polish" the paint??

Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: theblackpearl
do you just fix dings and rust with bondo??
Nooooo. Dings get pulled and smoothed, rust gets cut out and a new piece welded in and sanded smooth.

Pics truly don't do it justice.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

sure it does, they look beautiful.

hey sov, when you did the power door conversion for your car, did you also change the manual sideview mirrors to power also??? my friend said he'd sell me his type r sidemirror from his ex, but i don't know if i could make it work with my dx hatch. i read your write up on the conversion, but i didn't see anything about the sidemirrors.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: theblackpearl

sure it does, they look beautiful.

hey sov, when you did the power door conversion for your car, did you also change the manual sideview mirrors to power also??? my friend said he'd sell me his type r sidemirror from his ex, but i don't know if i could make it work with my dx hatch. i read your write up on the conversion, but i didn't see anything about the sidemirrors.
I wired it but I don't have power mirrors on the car so I don't use it.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 AM
HCF Member

then how do you adjust the mirrors???

Quick Reply: Sov Build Ver. 1.2 - EK Hatch