HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 AM
HCF Member

Here's a ****in' update for ya: I finally got my new wheels in the other day. I took my car to Big O Tires to have them put on and an alignment all the way around. Well, 10 minutes into the procedure, they call me back there and tell me they broke a wheel stud. The back had come loose and was just spinning in place. They didn't have the tools to cut it free, so I took it to a small local place up the street. Of course, they were too busy to take me that day so I left it there overnight and they finished it the next day. They put in a new wheel stud, put my new wheels on, and aligned it for me. It drove great! Handled nicely, accelerated faster and in a straight line *AND* barely rubs! Even with 4 people in the car and me driving like a maniac!!

It was all good and I was planning on updating you guys once my girlfriend found my camera that she lost. (point and shoot sony that I won in as a door prize, no biggie)

and here's the bad news - Today, (4/27/11) I was up bright and early headed to my new job at a coffee shop. When I was walking to my car I realized it was completely jacked up. The driver's side door is caved-in, the glass is shattered (currently held together because of the window tint film) and the mirror was completely snapped off.

Luckily, there was a note under the windshield wiper. "Accidentally hit your car on way to emergency" He also left his name and a phone number.

I got a ride to work from my girlfriend. It was only my third day on the job, and I didn't want to be late. I talked to my new boss and he was more than happy to let my off early.

When I got home I called the phone number. To my surprise, a lady answered "something something Vetrinarian Clinic, how may I help you?" I told her what happened and she patched me through to the doctor who hit my car. He said to call back and give her all my info, he was currently on a call. He said he would call me back when he got back to the clinic and give me all his information.

He hasn't called back. I *did* however call my insurance company and told them all about what happened, and included the guy's name and number.

so now my question is: what the hell do I do now? They're probably going to "total" my car. Should I take the money they give me and keep the car? you know, fix it myself? I assume I could get a door from a junkyard around here, but I don't know how to install one. I've never done it before. I'm sure i could use my old parts if the new door needs them, like: door panel, speaker or even the rubber surround that seals the door.

*OR* should I just take it to a shop and have them fix it on his insurance's expense?

Here are a few pictures of my car with the new wheels (which I think look great) and a couple of all the damage done.

*edit* ps- where would be a good place to get a replacement door? if its not out of a junkyard, it probably won't come with glass, right? Am I better off just pulling one from a local junkyard? ****Will the door from a coupe or sedan work?****

Man, this is stressing me out. I really didn't need this bull****.

Attached Thumbnails Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"-220960_10100226998140860_15928637_50985261_5235892_o.jpg   Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"-216308_10100231939807720_15928637_51060724_7568960_n.jpg   Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"-216483_10100231940491350_15928637_51060733_7859985_n.jpg  

Last edited by Shandles; 04-27-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:56 PM

That's not totalled. That's a door, some paint, and a mirror. Doors are easy to swap. Unbolt hinges and the hanger thing. (That's the trickiest part, if I remember) and undo the wire connector. The rubber boot comes off and it disconnects.

Maybe you can get paint on the fender out of it. But take plenty of pictures and document stuff. You're lucky. The doctor left contact info. Most people wouldn't. (And by law, he left the scene of an accident. That's bad stuff in most states.)

Old 04-27-2011, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

If you took that to a shop, they wouldnt replace the door, just reskin it. which takes longer than putting a new door on, but it is Significantly cheaper. id buy a new fender and mirror from a junkyard if you can, or if you have dismantlers around that would also be cheap as a body shop could paint and blend your new parts.

depending on how busy a shop was, if you dropped it off on a monday, i dont see why you wouldnt have it back wednesday. and my guess is if you got a fender and mirror, and they reskined the door and painted it, youre lookin around 700-1000$ (idk where you live so just goin on what i've learned) so if you get more than that if they "totaled" it, than you could very well be making money. problem is you'll have a salvaged title (right?), but when you sell it and have proof that it's a salvage title because some mother F@Ukr hit your car, with the insurance stuff and repair order from a shop, i highly doubt the value of the car would go down. Sorry for rambling, i do auto body here in cali. so kinda givin you a taste of what they would do.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

Thanks man! I appreciate the words of wisdom from you both.

Yeah, I doubt its totaled. I've got to take it to 2-3 places to get an estimate, then I think we'll go from there. He said he'd call me back in the morning with more information. I really wanna get this taken car of. I just had her where she was running pretty good and I was really beginning to enjoy the car.... finally.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 AM
HCF Member

well good luck!!! youre lucky that the guy that hit you left a note!! i guess there are still good people left in this fu@k!d up world we live in

Old 04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
HCF Member

that really blows man. Is that some side-wall that i see??? XD

Old 05-01-2011, 10:58 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 88MoParCivic
that really blows man. Is that some side-wall that i see??? XD
side wall? you mean my tire size? yeah, 17's on a civic is retarded. it rides like ****. Missouri roads are terrible too, so I was always paranoid of bending a rim. these 15's are perfect.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:03 PM
HCF Member

I think a nice 16 is good. 15's are sexy tho. but anything is better then a 13! I tell you man, i'm really digging the hatchbacks now. I like reading about your build dude. I'm looking for a nice Hatch myself. That or a CRX Si.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

^ EF hatches are (IMO) the best looking hatches if done right

Name:  hh.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  106.0 KB

Not mine, but I'd kill to own it I have a soft spot for EF sedans though If a free one poped up at my house, I'd probably take it No matter the condition

[/end_threadjack] Hope everything's going okay with the insurance company and the guy himself Shandles.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:47 PM
HCF Member

thats sexy man. whats EF? does that refer to the vin or something? in relation to year? Because that hatch looks like my Sedan.

Any condition? how about 341k. Bad Piston rings. messed up CV's. Dents and dings and rust galore. and a really screwed up deck lid?

Quick Reply: Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"