HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM
HCF Member

I got the car back last night. With the Tein's and my fat *** in the driver's seat, these stupid 17's rub like you wouldn't believe (drivers side rear)

so I'm currently on the lookout for either: a) cheap set of steelies with GOOD tires, I'll pay cash and sell my 17's later or b) a set of LS mesh with good tires to just trade my 17's for. OR c) free money for tummy tuck/liposuction. lol

I don't care either way, I just really want to get my poor hatch back on the road. It won't be going on any long drives until then either. Its not aligned AND the rubbing is super loud!

It just snowed here (AGAIN) so I won't be taking any pictures until it warms up later this week. I'll also mess around with the stereo then too. (and just to clarify, there is NO amp hooked up.... there is only the wiring FOR an amp. could that still be causing the whining noise?)

Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Shandles
(and just to clarify, there is NO amp hooked up.... there is only the wiring FOR an amp. could that still be causing the whining noise?)
It the amp power wire connected to the battery?

If it is, it is possible.

If it is not connected then no it is not the cause of the whine.

Dayton

Old 03-14-2011, 03:12 PM
HCF Member

Rear is rubbing? Huh, usually it'll be the front that sucks, is it hitting on the lip of the fender? If so you'll either need to roll the fender or add some camber, when I dumped my car all the way down I was running a lot of negative camber to keep it from the fender, but even with how much negative I had I still had to put washers behind the control arm to keep the negative at a reasonable rate. What I am getting at is you shouldn't really have a problem with the rear (usually) because you'll have more negative camber than necessary.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 AM
HCF Member

I just went out and was inspecting the situation when I noticed something: its got 45 series tires in the back and 40's in the front!

I've been wanting to get some 15's anyways. Theres a guy a couple hours from here that has some ls meshes with 55 series on them. You think they'll fit without rubbing? Or should I keep looking?

I think I might go out there today (after replacing my gf's thermostat and headlight) and swap the fronts to the back and see if that makes a difference with the rubbing. I'm sure it will, I just dont know how much.

And where exactly can I put washers to change my camber? Will it negatively affect my tire wear?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM
HCF Member

The rear you can adjust with washers, the front you can not.

For the rear-
Look at you rear upper suspension/ camber link.
Where it bolts the the inner well/ body area you can add some washers there to adjust your camber.

Dayton

Old 03-16-2011, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

here are a few pictures of the civic after the teins/koni STRTs, and a couple pictures of my wheels/tires. I'll upload the passenger side wheel/tire pics in a second post (limit per response is 5 pictures)

Attached Thumbnails Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"-drivers-side-profile.jpg   Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"-drivers-side-shot.jpg   Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"-passenger-side-shot.jpg   Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"-drivers-front.jpg   Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"-drivers-rear.jpg  

Old 03-16-2011, 02:38 PM
HCF Member

aaannnd here are the passenger side wheel/tire pictures. I'm trying to get these babies sold or traded for 15s

Attached Thumbnails Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"-passenger-front.jpg   Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"-passenger-rear.jpg  
Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
HCF Member

I'm in the process of buying a set of 15inch Drag (some number) in bronze with 195/50/15's. They are slipstream look-alikes. I know slipstreams are just a rip-off of some other wheel, but I can't remember the name...

ANYWAYS, after that is all done, I can get rid of these 17's, pay my insurance and begin working on paying my dad back the $500 I owe him for the rack and pinion.

I should have all that done in the next couple months. My summer project will be installing an all-new exhaust from the header-back. I'd like to buy it in pieces and install it myself. Of course, there will be much picture-taking and question-asking.

I'll also be painting my car as soon as it warms up around here. I plan on using my parent's garage, with lots of tarps covering all the tools. I'll probably poor a little water on the floor too, to help with dust. I'm just going to rattle can it. I may have a custom mix made up that resembles Midori Green I'll be painting the hood, roof, spoiler and possibly the hatch flat-black (to match my slipstreams) I'm also considering tye-dying my headliner and door panel inserts. I'll probably also give my valve-cover a new paint job to go along with the red bay. (yeah, I'm just gonna leave it red... but I have a surprise in store for what I'm doing with the valve cover... it should look great)

I'll also be doing a little body work on my gf's pontiac and painting it purple for her.

edit- I'm also going to look into getting a spring that lowers my car a smidge more than the s.techs and has a MUCH stiffer spring rate. The S.techs are nice and all, but they are entirely too soft for me. I'm open to suggestions

Last edited by Shandles; 03-27-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

You know after I installed my S-techs and looked at pictures of other Civic's I need moarrr low! If you want to go lower just save the money and get coilovers. Im gonna go with with FF Type 1's only $630 and a pretty good company and great reviews for street driving.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by KingDakota12
You know after I installed my S-techs and looked at pictures of other Civic's I need moarrr low! If you want to go lower just save the money and get coilovers. Im gonna go with with FF Type 1's only $630 and a pretty good company and great reviews for street driving.
I think I'm gonna go ahead and leave them on for now. I'm in the process of getting new wheels. After I get those installed, I'm probably going to look into getting some Function 7 LCA's, a Civic type-r sway bar and a brace to keep it from tearing my subframe.

Honestly, I'm not sure what parts to get to stay away from tearing my subframe. I know that having soft spring rates doesn't help. But I know that my spring rates are harder than whats found on the 99-00 SI, and it has a sway bar... so couldn't I use an SI sway bar? I'll probably need a subframe brace, because I'm sure SI's came with them... but I dont know what brand to go with. My funds are low right now because I'm also trying to save up for a new exhaust system since mine is so loud (plus my header is cracked and it kills O2 sensors...)

I'm open to suggestions! Anyone have stories to tell about their setups?

Quick Reply: Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"