HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Shandles
I'm second-guessing my h22 build because I'm not sure I'll be happy with the 200 hp it puts out. and if I wanted to build it further, how would I? They're not very turbo-friendly and resleeving is way too expensive. PLUS, from what I've read their transmissions aren't very strong. (which is what has really steered me away from the H build...)
H22 All motor with nitrous and a B series trans would put down some nice numbers.

I found a *killer* deal on a k20a3 (yes, I know its the least powerful of the k-series engines, but it would certainly be a better base to build upon than the H-series I was planning on previously)

ps- If I have enough after I get moved and settled in, I may end up buying this engine instead of fixing my door. I can stand to drive around for awhile longer with no window on my driver's side. hahaha, at least I'll have a k-series (prepares for flaming)
It may be a better a base to work from, but you'll spend about $2k more installing the motor and buying all of the adaptors etc. That $2k would equal a nice exhaust manifold, cams, and a tune/chipped ECU.

IMO, I would fix the door/window first. Have fun when it rains!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:22 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
H22 All motor with nitrous and a B series trans would put down some nice numbers.

It may be a better a base to work from, but you'll spend about $2k more installing the motor and buying all of the adaptors etc. That $2k would equal a nice exhaust manifold, cams, and a tune/chipped ECU.

IMO, I would fix the door/window first. Have fun when it rains!
The K-swap certainly wouldn't be more expensive than an H swap with an H2B kit. The kit alone is almost $1k. Not to mention that I would then have to find a b series tranny... which are surprisingly expensive and almost always have a third gear grind. So thats $2k alone just to get myself a reliable transmission. So I could have a stock H series with an H2B kit for about the same price that I could simply swap in a stock K20a3.... which, in my opinion, would still be a better base to build on (especially since I would like to boost later on down the line)

ps- I'll probably fix the door first, because I dont think I'm gonna have enough money for the K-swap after I get done moving in. PLUS I think its probably already been sold because he hasn't gotten back to me whatsoever. HOWEVER, I am working on getting a second job and if I do I'll be doubling my weekly income... which will skyrocket this build into a K-series build.

pps- you're NOT the only H-swapped civic here. There was a new guy who joined up not too long ago that bought his civic with a H swap already in it... can't remember his name...

Last edited by Shandles; 06-03-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 PM

ps- I'll probably fix the door first, because I dont think I'm gonna have enough money for the K-swap after I get done moving in. PLUS I think its probably already been sold because he hasn't gotten back to me whatsoever. HOWEVER, I am working on getting a second job and if I do I'll be doubling my weekly income... which will skyrocket this build into a K-series build.

pps- you're NOT the only H-swapped civic here. There was a new guy who joined up not too long ago that bought his civic with a H swap already in it... can't remember his name...
W/e floats your boat. Go for it. K series are more difficult to tune as well due to the numerous cam profiles, so I usually stay away for now.

The other guy has posted in my thread. I don't think he even has the car yet. He doesn't even know what kind of mounts are in the car. If I must, I'll change it to "the only self-swapped H22 Civic here?" Let's see how long he sticks around on the forum first.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:17 PM
HCF Member

W/e floats your boat. Go for it. K series are more difficult to tune as well due to the numerous cam profiles, so I usually stay away for now.

The other guy has posted in my thread. I don't think he even has the car yet. He doesn't even know what kind of mounts are in the car. If I must, I'll change it to "the only self-swapped H22 Civic here?" Let's see how long he sticks around on the forum first.
I've got the car, I've had it since I posted that thread.
The picture I posted on your thread of the alternator clearance was taken that day.

I don't know the mounts because the receipt simply states "engine mount kit" and I bought the car already swapped.
There was/is a lot of loose ends to clean up and straighten out from the swap that the previous owner did not do.

The mounts are aluminum in color and have orange bushings.
Want a picture?

Last edited by 1armed1; 06-03-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 PM
HCF Member

meh. lets not argue. this isn't the place for a pissing contest as to who has an H22 and who doesn't.

Anyways - I'm strongly considering doing an LS Turbo build. B18b's aren't hard to come by around here, and they're usually pretty cheap. Plus, I've seen countless builds with cars hitting 300hp on stock LS blocks and trannies with no problems whatsoever. The LS transmission is good on gas mileage too. Yeah, thats right... I said a turbo build that is concerned with GAS MILEAGE! so what? When I take it to get it tuned, I'll be sure to tell my tuner that MPG's are of utmost importance. I bet I can easily get 250-300hp and still get over 30mpg's. THAT would be a wonderful daily driver IMO

Last edited by Shandles; 09-14-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM
HCF Member

been awhile since I've been on here. not much to update really. I've been spending all my time working and moving into a new apartment. I've got a garage now! Its going to be both my art studio (I paint and draw) AND the place where I build my engine. I plan on building an LS-T this summer, or at least late this year. It probably won't be turbo'd until next year however, because I want to use quality parts for the build (gt turbo? perhaps turbonetics or turbosmart?)

Anyways, I still don't have the door fixed. I was saving my money to do it after I got moved in just in case I needed the money to finish moving in. Now I'm settled in, and guess what? my brakes went out. the cylinder in the passenger side brake drum started leaking. When I went to tear it apart, I spun one of my wheel studs. I scratched the holy **** out of my new wheels getting it off. I was kinda planning on painting them anyways, because I really hated how dark the bronze was.

So thats where I sit. I'll be headed down to my dad's to finish the brake job on Weds (Id do it today, but its over 100 degrees outside). After that's taken care of I plan on getting a used door from Kansas City (theres always someone on CL selling them cheap in KC... usually about $100) Besides, I cant find them in a junkyard around here for the life of me...

Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

dang, been awhile since I updated. I finally found a new door for my car locally. It fit in the rear of my car! I ordered a new mirror too, as this one is power and I want to keep them manual. I'm off the next couple days, so I'm hoping to get the new door swapped on and all my manual door-guts swapped into it.

Only problem is that its black.... I guess it matches my hood. :/ Man, I really need to get this thing painted.

But paint is gonna have to take a back seat, because my tranny doesn't really like to go into reverse anymore and I'm worried one of my other gears will go soon as well. I'll need to have a few hundred set aside for new tranny parts if thats what it comes down to. I was hoping to have it last until I had the cash to do the H2B swap, but thats gonna be awhile until I'm to that point.

I've got a new job prospect, if it went through I'd be looking at $32k a year, salary. My build would skyrocket, thats for sure. Keepin my fingers crossed...

Old 09-15-2011, 05:39 AM

Hope you get the job!

$200 for a new trans should be about right I think. I would replace the clutch/flywheel, rear main, bearings while you are in there, too.

1/2 painted, and 1/2 black Civic unite! I have been riding around with a black front end for like 2 years now.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 PM
HCF Member

Hope you get the job!

$200 for a new trans should be about right I think. I would replace the clutch/flywheel, rear main, bearings while you are in there, too.

1/2 painted, and 1/2 black Civic unite! I have been riding around with a black front end for like 2 years now.
haha, thanks man. Theres a damn good chance that it won't get painted for awhile. I really want to save all my cash for an H2B swap.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

Finally got the new door installed! Its not perfect. It has some kind of terribly faded tint on the window that I need to get off. And well... the door is black. So it doesn't match. But hey! It closes! and locks! and theres a window in it! hahaha

And...well, I still only have one job. I'm working on finding either one really good job or a second one to work when I'm not at my current job. ****s tough around here, its hard to find anything decent.

Anyways, next on the list of things to purchase for the Civic: Innovative Billet motor mounts with 60A urethane bushings. Then a Energy Suspension urethane shifter bushing. I'm hoping these two modifications will help clear up all the slop in my shifter. After those two things I plan on getting a Mishimoto aluminum radiator and electric slim fan combo. I think this is the best route to go right now because I'm torn between either turbocharging my d-series or doing an H2B swap. But all these parts will work with either path I choose.

Commence pinching pennies....NOW!

edit: er...well... I guess the shifter bushing won't work for the H2B swap... but hey, its only like 10 bucks. lol

Quick Reply: Shandle's '00 Civic Hatch build aka "The Incredible Hulk"