HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

RDR: Project Rally

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Default RE: RDR: Project Rally

heres a quick chop my friend did for us
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  28.3 KB

if anyone else has any ideas for paint please share.

heres an idea i made real quick on paint..
Name:  paintscheme.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  32.6 KB

were thinking about having the hood saying "Special Thanks:.." and signed by everyone who puts work into the car just as a thank you. as much as we'd love to pay for their time, we just cant afford it. figure its the least we could do. i guess keep that in mind with the paint scheme.

so today we decided to tear apart the car. quite rusty to say the least, but we have plans.
u can see the exhaust hanger..

aaaand the tire...
Name:  9.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  63.8 KB
we stripped out most of the sound deadening in the rear. was holding in moisture and dead weight.
Name:  10.jpg
Size:  71.3 KB
Name:  11.jpg
Size:  68.6 KB
also stipped the rear interior. we'll probably leave it stripped because we'll be welding in alot of metal and supports.
Name:  12.jpg
Size:  57.1 KB
front interior, pretty clean.
Name:  13.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  67.8 KB
Name:  14.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  52.4 KB

were trying to get this thingatleast race ready for the DC RallyX event on March 30th to start gaining points.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:59 PM

aight lil update. took the car to work today and did some work. replaced the steering universal joint, balanced the wheels, cleaned up most of the oily gunk in/under the engine bay, sprayed penetrating oil on just about all the suspension and brake components, and figured out what needs to be worked on. ordered the powersteering belt today, might come in tomorrow, if it does we'll install it and see if the p/s works. one of the techs who showed me how to replaced the steering joint suggested we remove all the emissions b/s and block the EGR valve so we'll prolly do that at some point. need to order a tensioner pulley because the one on there has a bad bearing, no big deal. need to replace the sway bar bushings. we'll probably just replace the front swaybar bushings and upgrade the rear swaybar to something thicker. motor mounts are a bit worn but we'll fill them in with 3M window weld as a substitute for polyurethane inserts(since i dont think they sell em for this car). we may be ordering the new struts tomorrow along with hopefully getting some metal welded in. hopefully can get new brakes soon, these damn things arnt even vented lol.

anyways some pics..
new joint
Name:  20.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  44.1 KB
after some cleaning
Name:  21.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  78.1 KB
undercarrage is alright. bit dirty but dosnt seem bad.
Name:  23.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  61.4 KB
driver side front suspension
Name:  24.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  53.0 KB
passenger side front suspension
Name:  25.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  41.8 KB
passenger side rear suspension. the holes are left from removing rust

Name:  27.jpg
Size:  66.8 KB
driver side rear suspension
Name:  28.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  49.3 KB
Name:  29.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  64.3 KB

Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 PM

seems like there isnt much interest here but since i cant delete this thread, ill just keep postin updates lol.

not tooo much has gone on since the last update. we've removed a sh*t ton more rust/metal from the rear to get it ready to weld in new metal. hopefully we'll be able to get the new metal welded in within the next week or so.

here pics from a few days ago. since then we've removed some more rust..
Name:  31.jpg
Size:  57.6 KB
we got masks! now i need a tetanus shot....
Name:  33.jpg
Size:  33.8 KB
Name:  34.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  66.1 KB

driver side rear suspension, what the passenger side SHOULD look like..
Name:  38.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  59.0 KB
aaaand the passenger side
Name:  39.jpg
Size:  61.2 KB
Name:  40.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  73.3 KB

stuff that fell outa the car.. thats just some of the junk
Name:  42.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  75.0 KB
and our first mod! Hurst ****, feels f*ckin great! real comfy
Name:  43.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  26.2 KB

brake pads came in the other day. EBC GreenStuff for the fronts and EBC Ultimax for the rear. Also put on some pedal covers for easier heel-toe, should be pretty useful since theres a good amount of downshifting to 1st gear in rallyx.. co-driver also cut out a pretty large chunk out of the driver side rear fender.

Name:  44.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  42.9 KB
Name:  45.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  43.0 KB
didnt get a pic of the chunk my co-driver cut out but its large, pretty large haha.

last week we ordered POR-15 rust preventative paint, KYB GR2 struts, and SP Performance slotted front and rear rotors. i have a new powersteering belt but i ordered a new tensioner pulley that im still waiting from my dealership to get. once we get that, the belt will be installed and i'll flush the system. searching and ordering parts for this car is a bit of a headache. all the parts i order from my Toyota dealership have to be shipped from Cali and most will probably be on back order. luckily shipping dosnt take very long and they take care of me since im an employee. probably gena pick up some new metal this week and start prepping it to be welded.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 AM
Cat Fuсker

Keep up the good work AJ

Old 03-18-2008, 09:30 AM
HCF Member

Holy crap that's a lot of rust, i can't imagine trying to deal with all that.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:40 PM

yeah...its a lot of rust....lol. its really not that bad to deal with, the hardest part is finding someone whos a decent-good welder willing to help us out for free or very cheap. all within just a couple weeks...i'd love to learn how to weld and this wouldnt be a bad project to learn on but were trying to get it right the first time and not worry about breaking a weld and whatnot.

anyways, the power steering tensioner pulley, brake rotors and the POR-15 paint and top coat came in today. dont have pics of the rotors yet since their at my co-drivers house. i believe he was going out to pick up some metal tonight aswell, if not tonight atleast sometime in the next couple days..

Name:  46.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  63.5 KB

still waiting on the KYB struts...dunno when they'll be here. hopefully before end of next week.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:47 PM
HCF Member

hahahaha i got a good laugh just from the pics i'm sure the thing is gonna be awesome, good luck AJ

Old 03-18-2008, 04:53 PM

haha yeah that seems to be everyones reaction to it when they firstsee it. all my co-workers reactions at the Toyota dealership were amusing. everyone was checking it out and askin who's POS it was, but then the more they looked at it, the more interest they gathered and ended up saying it was nice. it somehow got more looks than my bosses Ferrari 348 ts

Old 03-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Cat Fuсker

Just remember what I said about POR15 and skin...

Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Snail'n Admin

ORIGINAL: Roto

Just remember what I said about POR15 and skin...
yup...look at genes face now...tragedy. dang por15

Quick Reply: RDR: Project Rally