HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Oliver's EG Hatch Auto-X budget build *Project Cone Mower*

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM
HCF Member
Default Oliver's EG Hatch Auto-X budget build *Project Cone Mower*

Well I guess a little background on me is as good of a place to start as any, As you may have read in the introduction section my name is Oliver. I have a background in the performance industry working for some performance shops and with some pretty quick racers. I grew up on American Muscle, switching to Honda then to DSM and now back to Honda. I still have a soft spot for the 4G63 but I need a light and reliable car that is cheap to mod for Auto-X.

This build came about when I found a couple EG civics local real cheap. One being quite rusty with a B18 swap in it (spun bearing) and the other being clean as can be (light hit in the front) that came with a Mini-Me swap (out of the car.) I had originally planned on selling both of them and making a small profit. One thing led to another and I ended up selling the B18, The Mini-Me and the rusty shell. Anyway I ended up quite a sight to the good money wise with the car, I bought a D15B2 short block for $30 and a complete D16Y8 long block for $75. I also picked up a CX transmission that I am going to swap with the EX trans in my GF's car. The shell had Blox LCA's and H&R springs on it when I got it as well as a front strut tower brace.

As it sits right now the plan is to just bolt it together with OEM parts and see where my baseline is (obviously with a chipped ECU.) I will be installing Prothane suspension bushings and powder coating the suspension while it is out as well as installing an H-brace and some other suspension stiffening parts.

Here are some pics of what I am working with now. Questions/comments/constructive criticism/pointers are welcome.

This is where the debauchery, beer drinking and otherwise manly activities take place.
Name:  IMG00063.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  38.7 KB

4G63 would fit quite well......... But I want it reliable.
Name:  IMG00110.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  100.2 KB

Few cell pics of the Cone Mower
Name:  IMG00090.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  29.0 KB
Name:  IMG00091.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  103.7 KB
Name:  IMG00093.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  89.5 KB
Name:  IMG00092.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  96.6 KB

Old 07-14-2010, 02:40 PM

Welcome to the forum. It's about time we had a dedicated Auto-X build.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

Thank you very much. I enjoy racing that requires more driver skill than raw power.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

This looks good.

Cant wait for the outcome.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by SPLAT
This looks good.

Cant wait for the outcome.
Thank you, I am excited to see it come together as well, I am hoping to tear the Y8 down this weekend. Your build looks mean.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, he is more of a raw power kinda guy lol

Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 PM
HCF Member

Mmm I can't wait to see this get moving. I want to buy a pos to completely redo for autox next year I think. I kinda want to do an ef hatch, complete tear down, fix and clean up, put back together, cage it, race it. Ugh if only I didn't have school next year, and being unable to take over my parents garage lol.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:53 AM
HCF Member

Found a couple more pics. Hopefully I will have some fresh ones for you this weekend.

Before I bought it.
Name:  IMAG0059.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  96.6 KB

Now with more D15B2!
Name:  IMG00200.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  53.5 KB

Rocking the Boost Gear!
Name:  IMG00115.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  50.2 KB

Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Are you planning on running this with SCCA in a certain class(if so which class?) or just a local club that doesn't have classes?

I'll tell you right off the bat to lose the Blox LCA's, their junk esp for AutoX. The H&R springs I suppose would be fine if you're a novice to the sport. Skip on the H-Brace, wont do much more than a front lower tie bar and you don't need it. You don't want the front end of these cars to be too stiff or it'll create understeer.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civicexracer
Are you planning on running this with SCCA in a certain class(if so which class?) or just a local club that doesn't have classes?

I'll tell you right off the bat to lose the Blox LCA's, their junk esp for AutoX. The H&R springs I suppose would be fine if you're a novice to the sport. Skip on the H-Brace, wont do much more than a front lower tie bar and you don't need it. You don't want the front end of these cars to be too stiff or it'll create understeer.
LCA's and Springs came on it. I don't think I will be running SCCA just yet, I need to get the car together and see where I am at as far as doing shake down on the car and what class they will stick me in. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I will probably run the tail end of the local schedule and see what I like/dislike about the car and go from there.

Quick Reply: Oliver's EG Hatch Auto-X budget build *Project Cone Mower*