HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

My z6 Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Default RE: My z6 Turbo Build

*waits for them to get moved into the new project section*

Old 02-14-2007, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

ORIGINAL: cpl rampage
tommorrow ill prolly start measuring the crank shaft, what sizes should i be looking for, and do i need to get the crank turned, what are the standar and over sizes for the main and rod journals?
Just use Honda Bearings.

For the crank journals, you measure the width of the journal on the crank and then each journal with the girdle bolted on. Subtract the two and that's your clearance. Remember, boosted engines like a bit of a loose fit.

Rod bearings, same thing, measure the rod journal on the crank and on the rod. Then, PLASTIGAUGE them for a more precise clearance.

Here's a really good writeup about how to build an engine.

http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=326
nice link, ive seen it before but havent really read it, so ur saying, measure the outsided diamaeter of the crank journal, and then hte inside diameter of the block journal, and the difference is the clearance i should get, and then confirm this my torquing it down with the plastigauge in ther right?

one other question, if my crank surfaces are all round then i dont have to get the crank turned, i just have to pick the bearings according to the size of the crank?

does anyone have a link that shows how to pick what bearings to use, i know the previous link has it, but i still feel a lil confused, i want to make sure ive got everything right before i buy the bearings.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 PM

Plastiguage is mainly used on the rod bearings.

I personally saved the crank journal bearings as they didn't have enough wear to worry about replacing them. like I said, measure and measure again, check all of your clearances and order the bearings accordingly for the sizes. They're rated for a range of clearances.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:44 AM
HCF Member

well a few things happened this weekend.

first i honed the bores, now they are ready to be notched for the eagle rods (my friend should be bringing his angle grinder over tomorrow to do this)

then, i measured all the bores for diameter and roundness, thankfully they are all well within spec, the bigest difference between measurments on one bore was .001, so thats all good.

i also checked the block for warpage, across the entire surface the bigest gap was .0015 or less

now after reading up on how to size the bearings, i know how to do it, ill probably order the bearings and pistons this week, and depending on what else happens, maby the rods too. hopefully i will get alot of things done this week, its febuary vacation, thank god, a week with out high school WOOO!!! my friend with a supra is coming over tomorrow too, he blew his turbo, and hes got a replacement that we are gonna put in. and of course my fee for helping is letting me take a spin in it LOL.

p.s. where should i buy the bearings, the dealership, or somewhere else?

Old 02-23-2007, 05:03 PM
HCF Member

ok finally got the measurements for the main journals, what oil clearance do you guys recomend (sov expecially) i know you want it fairly large for boosted setups,

so do i ignore the limits in the manual and go larger then .0014? if i use .0014 as a base, the chart says a blue bearing insert. and i still havent found out where i should buy this stuff, any recomendations?

Old 02-23-2007, 06:02 PM

Just buy it straight from Honda. As far as ordering the bearings, you want to order a little on the loose side, but IMO just order the bearings that are on the loose side for the clearances you measured.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

ok cool, you say order straight from honda, is there a site, or just call up the local dealership, lol i know i sound like a nub....

one other thing, do i need to get my block and head decked? i havent measured the head yet, but the block is within .0015 of level. if both are that level, do i need to do it?

Old 02-24-2007, 09:17 AM

Sounds ok to me. And yeah, just go call up the local dealership and they should be able to get the bearings for you.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

Register and download the Helms manual for your car/engine. It should tell you most of what you need to know.
Is there really any "easy" way to weed through that download though?? I tried looking through it, but 18,000 pages in PDF form is a bit intimidating. I'm starting to think I'm probably better off just ordering the damn book
I have an outline via notepad at home that lists the beginning of each section. Like "Cylinder Head: 289," "Engine block: 426," etc. I'll post it when I return.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

excellent! thanks mang

Quick Reply: My z6 Turbo Build