HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

My z6 Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: My z6 Turbo Build

did you ever burp the system when you first started it?

Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 AM
HCF Member

not yeat it the first thing on the adgenda for today.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

ok, i started it up right away, and took it for a spin down the street, no power at all, it still had a bad idle, so i brought it back and shut it off, i tryed turning it back on again, and it started right back up. i actually di that a few times. then i shut it off and came to check my post etc, and went back and it wouldnt start, i took the sparkplugs out at this point, they wernt wet with gas anymore, but they were really sooty, so it is deffinatly runnign rich.

The idle problem deffinatly sounds like a fast idle valve problem, but why it wont start, still has me boggled. i need to get a noid light, and see if i am getting spark when it doesnt start, are there anycases where it would cut spark?

Old 08-18-2007, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

ok, it started to get a lumpy idle again, and i disconnected the iacv, and it died, what does that mean?

Oh, and then when it didnt start after it died, i tested for spark, and its got spark, so thats ok. any ideas?

I can smell fuel when i try to start it, so maby it is flooding the engine, could a bad temp sensor cause it to think it was cold? and pump more fuel in?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

Well it wasnt a bad temp sensor...

with my narrowband hooked up, it gets rich then dies, and when it gets to the optimal point on the gauge it fires again, i know this is pretty pointless, but anything might help.

It was just like before, idle was fine, and then as it heated up it got lumpyer and lumpyer. So here are the options that are going through my head right now,

1.) Wrong fuel pump, i bought the walbro 190 lph high pressure pump, i dont think i was supposed to get a high pressure pump, could this be raising my fuel pressure even though there is an FPR? would it be worth it to buy a fuel pressure gauge to check this?

2.) Bad ecu, i chipped it my self, and there is a solid checkengine light, and i cant pull the code when i have the jumper.

3.) Bad basemap, i belive the specs were sent correctly to xenocron, although i didnt say that i had a HP fuel pump.

4.) Open downpipe, i dont think this could cause it, but i am open to sugesstions. i did try putting a board infront of the dp as to create some back pressure, but it didnt do anything.

I also tryed disconnecting a coupler, and seeing if it was the turbo causing it, but it did not change.

I then cut the jumper to return the ecu to the normal state, it starts up fine, idles a lil low, but i think that is because i was messing with the idle screw earlyer. no check engine lights so that is good, although the srs light flashes after a lil bit, but it is a constant flashing, is this normal?

So i am going to go over my chipping, and look for problems, but it might also be a bad base map.

if ANY one has any sugesstions, please tell me, i kinda feel like i am talking to a wall right now.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

take the charge pipe off ur turbo to ur tb and run the unchipped ecu just like its a stock n/a car and see if it works then could be it has nothing to do with ur turbo or ecu when i had a bad idle it turned out that it was just some sensors hooked up wrong

Old 08-20-2007, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

yeah thats what i said i did, when i ran the stock settings on the ecu, it ran fine, no cel and no lumpy idle, so it really must be either a bad chiping or a bad basemap

Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 AM
HCF Member

well i had a chance to go over my solder work yesterday, i found 2 cold solderjounts on the main rom chip, so lets hope that was the problem. I didnt have a chance to test it out because it is just too f**king loud. too loud to drive it after dinner time or so.

before i took the ecu out, i drove it up and down the street to warm it up so i could check for the lopy idle when it warms up, and it seems gone. It was pretty cool tho, i got to the end of my street and all the kids playing soccer on the field accross the street stop playing and stare. i do my u-turn and blip the gas a lil bit, hehe i think one of em jumped lol. theo other cool thing is it idles really low, and with the open DP, it sounds really cool, kinda like a big v8 burble.

so the adgenda for today is to jack the car up and tightn the alternator belt alil bit, it squeals a lil bit everytime u start it cold, once i do that, i will hook up the ecu running the custom base map, and see how it does. I will be happy if the CEL is gone, if the bad idle goes away, it would be great too. so lets hope for the best and wish me luck lol.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

wooot, the car runs awsome, it was the bad solder joints that caused all the problems. cant type much now, i will fill youin on thursday

Old 08-23-2007, 03:04 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: cpl rampage

wooot, the car runs awsome, it was the bad solder joints that caused all the problems. cant type much now, i will fill youin on monday
WOOOOOT!

Congrats bro

Quick Reply: My z6 Turbo Build