HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

My z6 Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: My z6 Turbo Build

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

ORIGINAL: cpl rampage

Ok, i got the injectors in, a pretty nice set from ebay. everything is coming together, i have been thinking about the clutch, and i will probably get the 2ms so that it is a lil easyer on my tranny, since it is stock, and not the the best condition. Its so sweet, everything else besides the clutch are sub 100 dollars, and will be ordered as soon as i get the clutch

One thing i have been thing ing about, is inspections are next month. i will deffinatly have the motor in by next month, but how hard its it to pass emissions with a turbo in mass?
Depends on your tune, luckily you get to use smog.

My suggestion... right before you throw the engine in get your inspection done, that way you have 14months till you have to worry about it again.
Yeah thats what someone else said on another forum, now i just need to get my windsheild fixed, it got a crack from a freak hailstorm about 2 weeks ago...

Old 07-19-2007, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

Well here are some pics of my current progress, i have a rough fab of my downpipe, and my injectors in.

The dp is only tacked together now, im waiting for a peice to bent 90 degrees to go aroound the oil pan, from there i just have to tack the rest together and have the welder weld it up. I think it's gonna look great will it all weld up nicely, and it should flow pretty good, I perpously made it with a lot of pie cuts to keep it some what smooth, and since it clears the ac, it will be nice in the humid summer months.

The injectors were pretty easy to put in, like many of the tutorials said, the stock seals wernt tall enough, and since thye didnt hace the seal at the auto parts store, i got a set of orings the go between the seal and the injectors so that they protrude into the IM the same amount as stock. The caps do look funny on these things, almost looks like they are supposed to come off, here is the auction i bought them from, those yellow things arnt supposed to come off right lol, ebay

[IMG]local://upfiles/13783/03436032154C4EA0BA0E17B8269BD668.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13783/9D8A686D0B7346F28645D3834D8790A3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13783/7164EDFE37F342F9A009F415B854F1A2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13783/BBC6205F1C4D4760A94CDCA29B175D11.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-20-2007, 03:44 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Man that DP is going to be beastly! One thing I noticed though, is that its going to be routed through the same area as the oil return line. I'm sure you've already taken this into account, just in case I wanted to toss it out there. I would mock up the oil return line before finishing the DP.

As for the injector caps, aren't those just to keep crap from getting into the injectors during shipping? I know my DSM's didn't have em

Old 07-20-2007, 04:27 AM
HCF Member

Yeah its gonna be in the same area, im gonna keep the DP as close to the block as possable, and then have the oil line loop arround it, and go to the far end of the block, it works pretty good since the line is really stiff, so it naturally bows out from the block. Depending on how close the dp is, i may heat wrap it. worst comes to worst, i will get a 45* Bend off the oil line coming from the turbo.

And the DP isnt that big, its only a 2.5 inch pipe, but i wanted to keep my ac, and didnt want to take the cheep way out, and weld on a bend that wasnt along the radius. At leas they DP will look cool lol.

Yeah those yellow caps are on there right now, ill pull em off when i get home, and take a better pic, but they have a hole in the center for the fuel, but im just guessing.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Interesting.

Dp will look great once its all together. The pics defintely make it look bigger than 2.5" but I'll take your word for it. Should be a real nice and clean setup once shes put together.

As for the oil line, as long as it's not bent too far and/or touching the dp you should be golden.

I'm diggin this project, and am excited to see what it looks like all pieced together

Keep up the good work!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:03 AM

Run your oil lines before you run your DP, trust me especially when you come from the driver side like that, you'll run out of room REAL quick. Have your oil lines take priority, your DP can always find another way around even if it is kinda strange looking.

Otherwise looks great, good job with the pie cuts, that's gonna look nifty.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:40 AM
HCF Member

Yeah once i get the 90* bend, i will tack it on and then see how the oil line runs, because unfortunatly it is hard to visualize exactly where the dp will pass, because i am unsure of exactly what ange it will come off the pie cuts, and i couldnt hold the pipe and the 2 ends of the oil line. The pipe is actully supposed to be getting bent right now, and i hopefully will have it tonight. And my friend also let me know where i can go to get my flywheel resurfaced, and also a shop that will weld the aluminum bung on to my intercooler piping.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM
HCF Member

Well the pipe couldnt get bent today, so i will hopefully be able to do it tomorrow, i also received a mesage back from the seller on ebay, this is what he said

Those yellow caps are new replacement pintle caps, and are supposed to be kept on there. You probably see many injectors without the caps because the old ones can become brittle and break off.

So i guess i am good in that aspect.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:07 PM
HCF Member

I found a place that has a peice of mandrel bent piping, aparently there are no shops arround there that have a mandrel bender, but anyways, got a 90* bend, and finaished fabing up the DP, it think it came out really good. The oil in is also the proposed path that it will take, no kinks, its stays away from the DP, and it doesnt have any dips, i think it should be good. The socket that is under the DP, between the block is there to hold up the DP cause it is just sitting in the flange, i cant tack it untill all the pie cut have been welded since there wouldnt be enough room to get the welder in there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13783/FB50C90ECDF84480ABFC3EF414FE4366.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13783/9B83484436564144B346719C7FD81D40.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13783/F7AC2E5B53B6492FAE0024ED16C1F0FE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13783/94E7723746C9475F8810D5359A0919BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-21-2007, 08:08 PM
HCF Member

that looks beautiful and why cant i be workin on my turbo build? wait i know cuz im broke

Quick Reply: My z6 Turbo Build