HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

My first block build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: My first block build

put some copper coat on that headgasket and it will seal better. retapping the headstud holes will giv eyou better readings when you torque them down, just a suggestion

Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 PM
HCF Member

I got about an hour or so to get a little work done today so I dont have so much to do this weekend to finish everything up. I got the head put on the block, got the old intake manifold gasketoff which was a royal pain in the butt! Got the intake manifold cleaned up really nice and bolted it onto the head. I even got a little cleaning done in the engine bay so everything looks pretty when its all finished. Heres some more pics of the progress.
Name:  IMG_2035.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2042.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2044.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  55.8 KB

Im starting to get excited. Theres only a few little things I need to pick up to be able to finish the whole thing and the motor is getting pretty close to being re-assembled. Im hoping and praying I have this thing all finished up and runningby sunday night.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

looks realy good so far

Old 08-19-2007, 10:06 PM
HCF Member

Well I was hoping it would be done by tonight but its not . The nearest honda dealership was out of b16 timing belts so I went to auto zone and picked one up for temporary use and it turned out to be the wrong part so I tried advanced auto parts and same thing happened again so I got pretty held up with that. Currently the motor sitting in the garage completely assembled with no belts waiting to go into the engine bay. Tomorrow Im picking up a timingbelt from another honda dealer and were going to get back at it. Im really hoping that we dont run into any more stupid little problems and get this thing all finished up tomorrow.Heres some more pics of the progress anyway since you knowI love pics!
Name:  IMG_2067.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2068.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2070.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2072.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  57.3 KB

Heres the lightly roughed up valve cover before I decided to just spray gasket remover all over it and take it down to the bare metal.
Name:  IMG_2075.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  51.4 KB

And this is mid way through the gasket remover doing its thing. Pretty nasty looking.
Name:  IMG_2077.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  62.2 KB

Old 08-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

nice painting the grass red hahahaha

Old 08-20-2007, 09:32 PM
HCF Member

Well we finished everything up tonight and got it running but its not running very well. The idle is really low and choppy and theres a very strange sound coming from the area of the cam gears like the whining of a supercharger. I think theres a very good chance the timing belt might justbe slightly rubbing agains something in there. I took it out for a gentle test drive and it wouldnt go over 3k in 1st without cutting out. It feels like the ecu is just cutting fuel or something. I am still on the same map from the stock motor tuned for 10 psi on the greddy turbo and the setup is now much lower compresion 9.0:1 instead of the stock 10.2:1 and now there is no turbo. I cant amagine that would make all that much difference could it? Should I try going back to stock injectors and stock ecu and see how that does?If anybody has any knowledge about building a motor and how they react on their first start ups please share and feel free to make suggestions as to what the problem could be.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:02 AM
HCF Member

I am pretty sure u should go back to the stock ecu and injectors, the map on the stock ecu is going to be much closer to what you need, because it is a NA map, as compared to a boosted map. What MAP sensor are you running anyways, if you go back to stock, you need to change that back too.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:50 AM
HCF Member

Sorry its been a few days without a reply. I just got moved down to lakeland Fl a few days ago for school about 3 hours from my house in jacksonville. I tried the stock injectors and ecuthe day I left and it really didnt run any better.My buddy's going totry messing with a few different maps to try and get it running better. We think the timing belt might be a little too tight causing the wierd whining noise and we may have leftthe speed sensor unplugged causing the revs to cut out when it reaches a certain speed. My car is atmy friends house back homeand I wont be able to mess with it for another week when I go back for my21stb-day. He's going to try a few things and see what happens so I'll keep you guys posted if theres any new info. In the mean time Im stuck at school with no car and it REALLY BLOWS!!!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:16 PM
HCF Member

Do you have aftermarket came gears? If so your timing belt is rubbing on the lower plastic belt cover. You will need to cut a hole or eventually the timing belt will do itself. It doesnt harm anything. The side of the timing belt is quite tough.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:35 PM
HCF Member

No the cams and gears are stock. I have heard that the timing belt could be too tight and make a similar noise but its pretty noticeable so Im really not sure if that could be it. My biggest worry right now is just getting it to idle and run a little better. Im really hating life at school right now without a my car. I dont think I can take too much more of this!

Quick Reply: My first block build