HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Engelhonda's new Turbo D thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 PM
HCF Member

Went around to some machine shops today and got some prices, im gonna possibly get my extra crank refinished for about 140, and was told 110 will get my block honed, hot tanked and cleaned up, and then i guess they back it so when i get it back its ready for assembly. Pretty stoked though it was for so cheap!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM
HCF Member

So there is a jdm d15b thin lobe cam on my local craigslist for really cheap, ive been doing some research and ppl have been saying the d15b cam gives more power at higher rpms, should i replace my y8 cam for the d15b cam. Generally i have found its a more aggressive cam.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:33 AM
HCF Member

Just bought a set of pistons and engine bearings, depending on what the selling has in stock im either getting ACL bearings or king bearings! wootface!

Old 07-30-2010, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

I got the cam in, but its not what i had expected. It feels almost as if i have lost power, like vtec i feel doesnt hit near as hard but i feel as if my low end torque increased. Like i have more mid range power. Anyways ill put up pics later, i may be swapping my y8 cam back in after wednesday next week after i run up at bandimere.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:00 AM
HCF Member

Well i put my old y8 cam back in yesterday and after doing so it ran...HORRIBLE. The thing could hardly idle w/o dying, when i pressed on the gas it would bog very slowly up the RPM's. Needless to say i was PISSED yesterday, bought a cam that sucked, put my stock one in that wasnt working...

So then after i couldnt get the stock one working i was getting ready to take it out again. So i get my wrench onto the crank, turn it so my cam gears "up" is pointing up and i look down onto the crank pulley. All i can say is WOW i cant believe i forgot to check my timing, the one thing i was so worried about before swapping these cams rofl. So while the cam gear was "up" the notch in the crank pulley was about an inch in front of the mark on the t-belt cover.

I finished timing it at about 10 last night, runs just fine now. So today after work im going to put in the new cam i got (again >.<) and double check my timing, i feel like through my forgetfulness i didnt check it in the first place, so i assumed the cam i bought was ****. but hey hopefully after work today ill get it in right and it'll make a difference...heres some pics

Here is the new cam (supposedly d15b)
Name:  003-4.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  128.3 KB

Name:  004-5.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  94.0 KB

233k mileage rocker arm assembly
Name:  005-3.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  167.9 KB

Name:  006-2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  129.7 KB

And here is the stock cam
Name:  007-2.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  188.1 KB

lil blurry...
Name:  008-1.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  51.9 KB

Old 08-01-2010, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

After trying the cam for the 2nd time and making sure my timing was exact, especially after finding this on turbod16.com...http://turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48126. This is the guy i bought the cam from trying to figure out what the cam is, NO WHERE does anyone say its a JDM d15b. Kinda pissed off right now, im so close to being done w/ craigs...

Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 PM
HCF Member

Damn that's what sucks about buying stuff that is hard to identify. Unless it is someone you know or has someone who knows their stuff I wouldn't touch it. Stuff like that's easy to lie about. It's like with trannys, you don't know if it is going to grind or pop out, you have to assume they are telling you the truth. And at that the casings are the same, it is all inside as to what tranny they are. So many variables. What pisses me off on craigs is stuff falling through, people saying they will sell you rims and not, not following through offers, selling stuff and not saying, the usual.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

Prety sure that someone in the FS section has vc bolts. I think Scott does actually.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

Its easier to just go to the junkyard, pull one little bolt and pocket that **** rather than deal w/ shipping and what not, free is ftw =)

Old 08-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

Haha this is true

Quick Reply: Engelhonda's new Turbo D thread