General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Is a "D16Y8 SOHC VTEC" engine good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:39 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Is a "D16Y8 SOHC VTEC" engine good?

So is there any way of testing for this without tearing the engine apart, or is there something you can do to prevent this?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

nothing really, it is a hit and miss problem though but I have allways suggested people to swap to a Z6 bottom end for performance applications

Old 09-05-2007, 12:06 PM

How old are you guys? Haha I'm just wondering when I'm going to have the knowledge enough to do stuff myself. I'm tentative to work on the engine because I don't want to f**k something up.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

nothing really, it is a hit and miss problem though but I have allways suggested people to swap to a Z6 bottom end for performance applications
So the Z6 bottom with a D16 head? And they just bolt up?

Speed_o, it has nothing to do with age. I am older than Marty by about 4 or five years, he blows me out of the water with what he knows. There are guy on here that are 20 and they know more that I do at 29. LOL

So just study hard and learn everything you can. I got into the car thing at about 27. So I was a late getting into this world. I had done audio, but never anything else. LOL

Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 PM
HCF Member

You can use the z6 or y8 head both are so close to eachother that it does not matter. And to the guy that asked the age in the end it matters not, I am 25 and my dad is ase certified and I am not, while being younger and not certified my dad will vouch that I teach him things all the time but in the beginining he taught me alot of what I know. It just takes a genuine intrest in what you you are working with and truely wanting to do things the correct way.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cyberx32

Nice car, i think with the transmission and the pedals and everything, it would come out to around $3000 (i might be wrong)
i did a swap and it only cost me bout 600 with a new clutch, but i did the swap myself

Old 09-05-2007, 06:56 PM

I would have no idea where to start a swap...Should I just go to the junkyard and look for an engine?

Old 09-06-2007, 04:17 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Alright, I've been down the y8 road, and here is what I've come to realize.

If I was going to do it all over again, I would start by swappin in a z6, and boosting that. Pull the y8, and set it aside for when/if you blow the z6. Always good to have a backup plan just in case.

The problem with the y8's (actually, all y-series for that matter) like Marty said is restrictive oil passages. There are a few things you can do to help combat this situation. First, a better (steel) oil pan with baffling to help keep the oil near the pickup during hard left hand cornering. The absolute best thing you can do, is pull out the Oil Pump, and basically do some porting to the oil flow points. There are a few write ups on homemadeturbo.com, turbod16.com, etc..

Aside from that, its kind of a gamble. Soviet ran his y8 @ 210+whp (dont remember exact number), with no oiling issues. I was at 192whp for a few months, toasted a bearing, and threw a rod threw the block.

To anyone thinking about boosting a y8, don't underestimate the importance of bottom end oiling, and do what I've mentioned above to try and prevent it. The money you'll spend on those items is nothing compared to having to swap an entire motor

Old 09-06-2007, 02:45 PM

Where would I find a z6?

Old 04-18-2023, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by speed_o
Alright. What would the cost estimate be of swapping my transmission?
How much does it cost

Quick Reply: Is a "D16Y8 SOHC VTEC" engine good?