Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Vtec sounds funny, what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:51 PM
HCF Member

apparently the lss restriction you have the louder the vtec will be, will a catylatic converter increase restriction? im sure it would?

Old 12-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Yes, running no converter will make a large difference in the exhaust tone.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

yeah but when im in the cabin hen vtec engages it sounds raspy instead of loud, im not sure what the exhaust has to do with it? and im not sure what it sounds like outside of the car, i have an exhaust video if that helps Vibrant Axelback Exhaust: 1991 Honda Civic Si ED7 B16A - YouTube

Old 12-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Exhaust has a lot to do with it. I don't understand how you fail to comprehend this. vtec is allowing more air and gas to enter into the combustion chamber, creating a bigger bang. You hear this. Usually, the "noise" is slightly higher pitched (when in vtec), if you have a raspy exhaust, it is only going to sound raspier.

I hope you are not revving your motor up in the driveway or w/e expecting to hear vtec. Vtec will only engage if you are moving IIRC.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:06 PM
HCF Member

yes i know i never rev it in the driveway only noobs do that, but i will see if i can get my stock pipe switched out, thanks

Old 12-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Yeah, generally you'll hear two things while an engine is running. You'll hear the intake sucking air (if it doesn't have a silencer/resonator, which most aftermarket intakes do not) and you'll hear the exhaust. If you listen closer you can hear lesser noises like the injectors clicking and the accessory drive pulleys, but that's about it. The most noticeable of these noises is obviously the exhaust.

Like I said earlier, vtec is simply a more aggressive camshaft profile; it allows more air into and out of the engine. The two biggest reasons vtec even exists are for fuel economy and power. Large/aggressive cams need a good amount of overlap for higher rpms (where they really shine), and that causes a loss in low-end torque as well as a rough idle (search for cammed mustangs, camaros, corvettes, etc. on youtube if you don't know what I'm talking about; there's plenty of videos of them). They also tend to need to use more fuel due to the whole "more air" thing. By having two or more profiles on the same camshaft (vtec) you get the best of both worlds, with a less aggressive profile for most driving situations and a slightly more aggressive profile for higher-rpm driving. Why does this matter? It goes back to the whole thing with more air into and out of the engine, particularly the "out of" part; your exhaust is going to be flowing a higher volume of air during vtec operation, so the exhaust will be louder and the tone will be amplified.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:27 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Yeah, generally you'll hear two things while an engine is running. You'll hear the intake sucking air (if it doesn't have a silencer/resonator, which most aftermarket intakes do not) and you'll hear the exhaust. If you listen closer you can hear lesser noises like the injectors clicking and the accessory drive pulleys, but that's about it. The most noticeable of these noises is obviously the exhaust.

Like I said earlier, vtec is simply a more aggressive camshaft profile; it allows more air into and out of the engine. The two biggest reasons vtec even exists are for fuel economy and power. Large/aggressive cams need a good amount of overlap for higher rpms (where they really shine), and that causes a loss in low-end torque as well as a rough idle (search for cammed mustangs, camaros, corvettes, etc. on youtube if you don't know what I'm talking about; there's plenty of videos of them). They also tend to need to use more fuel due to the whole "more air" thing. By having two or more profiles on the same camshaft (vtec) you get the best of both worlds, with a less aggressive profile for most driving situations and a slightly more aggressive profile for higher-rpm driving. Why does this matter? It goes back to the whole thing with more air into and out of the engine, particularly the "out of" part; your exhaust is going to be flowing a higher volume of air during vtec operation, so the exhaust will be louder and the tone will be amplified.

Hope that helps.
yeah thats helps thanks man, yeah i heard that if i switch my stock exhaust piping out and get a muffler shop to put a new one in my axleback will sounds less raspy thus making vtec sound deeper, is this true? im lookin for that deep rich holy sh*t thats vtec tone?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:23 PM
HCF Member

vtec sounds different depends on ur exhaust and intake setup... if you want it to be deep get a 3 inch short ram, with a good resonated piping and muffler.. shorter intake will crack vtec louder

heres an example of my cousin si we tested out with a 3 inch intake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=I11bjLZB4Gk

Old 12-11-2011, 05:26 PM
HCF Member

it sounds wayy nicer and deeper in person.. thats why i love b16

Old 12-11-2011, 05:38 PM
HCF Member

ok i have a short ram with a knn filter, im sure that ill be fine ill switch my stock piping out, why are you spamming? my motor is out of a 1989 rsi integra not a b16a2 si

Last edited by theRDRman; 12-11-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Vtec sounds funny, what could it be?