Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

temp gauge actin weird..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Default temp gauge actin weird..

i was drivin around for a while today and for some reason the temp gauge was actin up. when i was driving, when the car should be normally warm since it was for a good 10-15mins atleast, it showed that the engine was still cold. i drove around for a while and it still keep showing that the engine was cold, but for some reason when i stoped at a light for a while or parked and let the car idol, the temp gauge went up to just under the half way mark.....i have no idea what it could be cuz i havnt touched the engine or anything in a while and i havnt been flooring it or driving crazy(damn gas..). any idea what it could be??

thanks!

Old 04-28-2006, 10:04 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: temp gauge actin weird..

Thermosate sticking maybe?

Old 04-29-2006, 02:37 AM
HCF Member

low antifreeze level.... when driving the air can cool your engine quit well, but when you stop, no air..

Old 04-29-2006, 06:44 AM
HCF Member

could also be just a bad temp sensor for the gauge

Old 04-30-2006, 05:54 PM

been a couple days and still doing it. check the coolant and everything is normal. my dad said its more than likely the sensor so im gena try and replace it. does anyone know where the sensor is located on a 95 ex? any idea on how much that sensor would cost?

thanks!

Old 05-02-2006, 02:06 PM

anyone? any idea? i hope to get this fixed sometime during the week cuz i really dont like lookin down after driving for 20mins and seeing the temp gauge all the way down...

Old 05-03-2006, 02:26 PM

The temp sensor is a one wire tiny little fellah located under your distributor towards the top of your head. It is the only sensor that will have 1 wire going to it. Very easy to identify by that one characteristic. Itll run you anywhere from 9 to 20 bucks. Fairly cheap...

But man I would rather look down and see that my motor is running cool....than overheating and spittin anti freeze. Talk about expensive!!

Besides, you get better gas mileage when your engine is cooler...haha.

Change your T stat and your sensor....its easy!

Old 05-03-2006, 07:40 PM

i think im actully getting worse gas mileage, atleast thats what it seems like. i would rather see it cool than overheating too but id much rather have it run at normal temp, just has me concerned when i see it all the way down as if the car were off.. thanks for the help! time to go get price quotes and find out how to do this..

Old 05-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Cat Fuсker

when I had that problem it was a thermostat...

Old 05-03-2006, 08:32 PM

yeah my step dad said something about the thermostat....what would be wrong with it and how would i check/fix it?

Quick Reply: temp gauge actin weird..