Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

smoke when vtec kicks in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: smoke when vtec kicks in?

It's gotten rather testy here. I will say that the valve seals can be changed with the head still on the block. I did that to mine, cost about $40 in parts, and it did not reduce the oil burning. I doubt that it will help the OP either. So based just on my experience I'd not recommend changing the valve seals.

Besides if your valve seals are bad, the valve guides are also likely quite worn, so it'd be best to not just change the seals; send the head to a shop or swap it for a rebuilt one.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 96civic285whp

I'm with pete, most hondas burn alittle oil when you get on them. Unless it's alot I wouldn't worry about it. How much oil does it burn in a 3,000 mile oil change interval? That's what I would find out before I even though about getting my tools out.
it has burned a little less than a quart in about1,000 miles

Old 07-23-2007, 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Forty04and I simply said that he should run a FREE test to be sure he's tackling the correct problem.
and quote me where I said that was a stupid idea. Give me a break here, I simply offered my opinion. You jumped my *** for it. Administrator of the year right here!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:29 AM

1 quart in a 1,000 miles is pretty heavy. I'd say your rings are bad. Do a compression test.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:23 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: BlackEM1

ORIGINAL: Forty04and I simply said that he should run a FREE test to be sure he's tackling the correct problem.
and quote me where I said that was a stupid idea. Give me a break here, I simply offered my opinion. You jumped my *** for it. Administrator of the year right here!
I jumped you for acting like an idiot, stop playing dumb.

/off topic BS, now.
96civic285whp, I couldn't agree more

Old 07-24-2007, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Can we get back to the topic at hand? Without actually being there to look at it I can't be sure, I simply wanted to give him the cheaper alternative, from what has happened with others Civics' in the past that I've read, the valve seals have gone well before the rings.

If it's not it, he's out what, a timing belt, head gasket and the time it takes to put the head back on the car?
Honestly, that is horrible logic. "Just throw a bunch of time and money at it and hope it fixes the problem!" Running a compression test will at least give him a better idea of what;s going on.
and I never said don't run a compression test. He asked for opinions on what to correct - and I gave him a damn good solution. A whole bunch of money meaning he's out at tops 50 bucks for a new belt and head gasket? In the meantime he can clean up his head while it's apart.
You show me where I can find a new OEM headgasket and timing belt for 50 bucks. Not to mention, it takes time to do that ****. If this is his daily driver, he probably can't afford for it to be down for an extended period of time.

You said that he should take his head apart and replace the valve seals, and I simply said that he should run a FREE test to be sure he's tackling the correct problem.
He never said OEM heheh , I once bought a new goodyear timing belt for 27 dollars, I know that the oem are always better but ehhh , i'm sure it will last at least 60k miles.
Also, what if you don't have a compression gauge or a buddy who can lend you one, then it's not a free test anymore heheh ...... Or does autozone lets you borrow them for free, like their ecu code reader? [&:]

anyways, back on topic
I agree, you should do a compression test first.

And, I think Pete is right, most Honda's do tend to burn a little oil. Mine does, but I think it might have to do with the fact that i do a lot of long trips and that i always go through an uphill twisty highway where i like to punch it alot[&:]

Old 07-28-2007, 07:54 PM
HCF Member

well i got the smoke problem solved, turns out i was running rich. i had my fuel pressure at almost 50psi and my mech set it up to 42-44 and there is almost no smoke at all when i step on it. but i still got the coolant problem. u guys think that by swapping to a SI radiator will help? since the SI radiador is bigger than the normal civic. i still have my oem one so i guess since the gsr is a much bigger engine than the stock one it needs a better cooling system , or am i wrong?

Old 07-28-2007, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

yeah, it's recommended to swap for a larger radiator core when going with a gsr. an siwill do, but might as well just get a full polished racing radiator, lol

Old 07-28-2007, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

i wish i had the green for that bro. i need to shell out $160 for the radiator