Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

smoke when vtec kicks in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:41 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: smoke when vtec kicks in?

ORIGINAL: BlackEM1
If it were the rings on your piston it would smoke 100% of the time.
Thats not true at all. I've seen numerous cars with weak rings only smoke at WOT. Remmy's car did it before he had the built motor

Old 07-20-2007, 08:59 AM
HCF Member

alright so now im confused. piston rings? or valve seals?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:04 AM
HCF Member

run a compression test beforehand, if it checks up ok, then move on to the next source.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Thats not true at all. I've seen numerous cars with weak rings only smoke at WOT. Remmy's car did it before he had the built motor
You don't have to be at WOT to activate vtec, but hey I got WOT before the vtec change over also.

But, just because Remmy's car does one thing doesn't mean all engines will do the same. I still say it's the valve seals.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member

First of all is it really oil smoke? If the smoke is black that would be from running too rich. If it is burning oil you would also of course notice your oil level is dropping.

Bad rings do smoke worse the more you gas on it. I had a stock '91 with a D15B2 that wouldn't smoke at all at idle, but leave a huge cloud wide open.

You really don't know what the last guy did to it for the first 20,000 miles.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

Hondas smoke a little when you stomp em. Its just how it is.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

the smoke is kinda like gray/blue and yes my oil level drops a little when its not supposed to. i was told i was burning oil but i just dont know , i mean the car hasnt been tuned and im pretty sure its running rich but it can also be that my piston rings or valve seals are goingbad as you guys say. plus my fuel gauge sometimes reads 50 psi , when before it was always at 40 i dont know whats going on , its driving me crazy and on top of that i dont know whats wrong with the coolant level that keeps droping insanely fast. [:@]

Old 07-22-2007, 12:17 AM

blue smoke = burning oil
grey/black smoke = running rich

My opinion is pull the head and replace the valve seals.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

You don't have to be at WOT to activate vtec, but hey I got WOT before the vtec change over also.

But, just because Remmy's car does one thing doesn't mean all engines will do the same. I still say it's the valve seals.
READ, I said I've seen numerous cars do it. I brought up Remmy's car because it was someone everyone knows, and it applies to the thread. Not to mention, just because YOU'VE seen valve seals fail once, doesn't mean that it happens to all motors.

I'm well aware of how vtec works as well, so save the condecending remarks.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:32 AM

READ, I said I've seen numerous cars do it. I brought up Remmy's car because it was someone everyone knows, and it applies to the thread. Not to mention, just because YOU'VE seen valve seals fail once, doesn't mean that it happens to all motors.

I'm well aware of how vtec works as well, so save the condecending remarks.
If I was condescending to you, you would know it. I've never had valve seals fail on me, so don't bother trying to call me out with a condescending remark and then tell me to"not doit to you."

Quick Reply: smoke when vtec kicks in?