Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

12's sohc v-tec

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Default RE: 12's sohc v-tec

Officially, Y7 = no VTEC; Y8 = VTEC

Old 01-12-2005, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: grncivicvtec

I really dont think y7 has vtec and y8 does, and its hard to say I got alot of friends say i dont kgot vtec cause it does not say but there is a sensor and it kicks in right about 5 and half, loud.
Just because it doesnt say it on the valve cover doesn't mean you have it. Hook up a vtec light (a bit ricey, yes) and prove to them once and for all that you do have it. When you see the vtec light come on, it's really easy to tell when it kicks in (not just because the light turns on, but because you know when to listen for it).

Old 01-12-2005, 08:09 PM

if i remember corectly i saw the head and it was vtec...im checkin on it to see if its a y8 head or something...he just bought the motor and it came in 2 boxes shipped....im pretty sure i saw it...but i could be thinking about someone elses crap...im checking on it and ill get back to you if he dont first..

EDIT: yes it has a y8 head...i spoke with my buddy who he got the motor from...he put the y8 head on it...

Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 PM
HCF Member

sweet. good find.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:35 PM

well thanks anyways guys but yes your right the y7 is not v-tec its a y7 block with a y8 head kinda like a mini hey? lol anyways sorry for posting the same **** twice i am a newbi you know dont really know how to use this **** yet but anyways enough about the damn motor how can i make this **** fast without going turbo just tell me what you can think off thanks

Old 01-14-2005, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

w/o turbo (or any FI) youll need to take that shiny new head back off and get a port and polish on it, then look into getting it decked, 3-5 angle valve grind, SS or titanium valves, springs and retainers. the biggest, meanest cam you can find, and the head gasket from a 96-00 ex (thinner than older ones) then, if its a street car too, get a nice cat-back and CAI, header, and high-flow cat. all brand name, no OBX or DC-S crap. an LSD would be a must. and get the tranny from an 88-91 si. adj FPR and guage, adj cam gear, AEM fuel rail, AEM filter, injectors from a prelude. intake manifold, throttle body, and a Hondata vinyl IM gasket. F.A.L. windows for the back three, carbon hood, lightweight rims such as Konig heliums, Panasports, or Rotas. slicks. a traction bar. and strip the interior. just a few suggestions. but add it all up. unless you have a fundamental dislike for turbos and twin cams, is it worth it? oh, and im sure i forgot a thing or two, anyone else, feel free to chime in. but this is about the best you can do without cracking the block, which wouldnt be a bad place to start.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:58 AM

sounds like alot of work [&:] LOL. i think i'll stick with the turbo. thanks though

Old 01-15-2005, 10:36 PM
HCF Member

lol

Old 01-15-2005, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

w/o turbo (or any FI) youll need to take that shiny new head back off and get a port and polish on it, then look into getting it decked, 3-5 angle valve grind, SS or titanium valves, springs and retainers. the biggest, meanest cam you can find, and the head gasket from a 96-00 ex (thinner than older ones) then, if its a street car too, get a nice cat-back and CAI, header, and high-flow cat. all brand name, no OBX or DC-S crap. an LSD would be a must. and get the tranny from an 88-91 si. adj FPR and guage, adj cam gear, AEM fuel rail, AEM filter, injectors from a prelude. intake manifold, throttle body, and a Hondata vinyl IM gasket. F.A.L. windows for the back three, carbon hood, lightweight rims such as Konig heliums, Panasports, or Rotas. slicks. a traction bar. and strip the interior. just a few suggestions. but add it all up. unless you have a fundamental dislike for turbos and twin cams, is it worth it? oh, and im sure i forgot a thing or two, anyone else, feel free to chime in. but this is about the best you can do without cracking the block, which wouldnt be a bad place to start.
haha sounds like sacs has got your whole car planned out for you. Only things i see missing are a 500 shot of nitro, a wheelie bar, a fire extinguisher, and a parachute. [sm=burnout.gif]

Old 01-16-2005, 03:03 AM

sorry to be so dumb in the field of cars(still learning!!!!) but what does LSD stand for? I've seen it on those websites for engine swaps n' junk and i still don't know what it is or what it does... clueless. : (

-B

Quick Reply: 12's sohc v-tec