ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Turbo Civic Weird Stalling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 PM
HCF Member

I just read "if you run boost with the stock pcv system YOU WILL PRESSURIZE YOUR CRANKCASE. pressurizing your crankcase will result in blowing your rings. TRUST ME.

you can rip out the stock pcv valve, cap off the IM nipple. and run a simple vented system, or you can get creative and run a vacuum system which IS BETTER THAN A VENTED SYSTEm."

Now its like I just did this for nothing. Is this true? Should I buy a new one after I extract the old one and replace it and just keep it blocked off?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by bcrichguitars
I just read "if you run boost with the stock pcv system YOU WILL PRESSURIZE YOUR CRANKCASE. pressurizing your crankcase will result in blowing your rings. TRUST ME.

you can rip out the stock pcv valve, cap off the IM nipple. and run a simple vented system, or you can get creative and run a vacuum system which IS BETTER THAN A VENTED SYSTEm."

Now its like I just did this for nothing. Is this true? Should I buy a new one after I extract the old one and replace it and just keep it blocked off?
Ah, that's why the vacuum system was all blocked off. For now, return everything to how it was. Later, do more reading and figure out whether you can improve the vacuum system set up.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:47 PM
HCF Member

I need to thank you again, your a great contributer to this forum. Its oil catch can time for me, im going to get rid of my valve cover breather and run a vented system. I guess you run the PCV valve and the valve cover line to the catch can. This will have to wait until next paycheck. Tomorrow I'm going to extract the broken PCV and wednesday I'm going to test my new FITV.

Last edited by bcrichguitars; 03-10-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:03 AM
HCF Member

I'm just worried because I think the piece of the PCV that broke is sitting in the intake manifold still. I dont know how I'm going to get it through the oil breather chamber. How will I get it out if I dont see it in the breather chamber?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I'm just worried because I think the piece of the PCV that broke is sitting in the intake manifold still. I dont know how I'm going to get it through the oil breather chamber. How will I get it out if I dont see it in the breather chamber?
Edit: I made a potentially important discovery. The PCV valve of 5th generation Civics is apparently inserted between two PCV hoses rather than into the breather chamber (see diagrams below - PCV valve is part #6). If your JDM engine is the same, then the valve piece may simply have fallen between the intake manifold and block outside of the engine. It also may be still attached to the second PCV hose. This should simply the fix as you won't have to remove the breather chamber because valve piece is not inside the chamber.

Name:  picture_2133.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  13SR80_E08.gif
Views: 43
Size:  12.0 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 03-10-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:19 AM
HCF Member

I dont understand, the PCV wasn't hooked on to anything it was in the rubber bushing in the intake manifold. This confuses me even more.
It didnt have a vacuum line on the other side. How can I get this out? Does this mean I need to remove the intake manifold?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I dont understand, the PCV wasn't hooked on to anything it was in the rubber bushing in the intake manifold. This confuses me even more.
It didnt have a vacuum line on the other side. How can I get this out? Does this mean I need to remove the intake manifold?
Your top photo shows the other end of the PCV hose attached to the IM. In the middle photo, it doesn't make sense that the PCV valve would also be inserted into the IM.

Is the JDM engine so different from the USDM? You should now carefully inspect the vacuum hose routing on your engine.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:51 PM
HCF Member

I feel like an idiot working on my car last night in the dark! Today I looked at it and seen that the hole the PCV valve was in doesn't even go into the engine! What a stupid mistake. I'm going to jack the car up and take a closer look at what the PCV valve is supposed to have underneith it. I dont think I have parts 11, 2, or 3 in your picture that come after the PCV valve. I'll update.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

Ok so I found the found where it is broken part number 4 is stuck in the hose. I'm going to try and get it out from underneith and get a new PCV in there.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Ok so I found the found where it is broken part number 4 is stuck in the hose. I'm going to try and get it out from underneith and get a new PCV in there.
Good, that should be a much easier fix than you thought last night. I hope you have regained some renewed enthusiasm for working on your car again.

Quick Reply: Turbo Civic Weird Stalling Problem