ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Turbo Civic Weird Stalling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by bcrichguitars
Ok I think the throttle body is my problem. The throttle (throttle butterfly I think it's called) on the outside of the throttle body that can be pulled to rev the car, isn't as far back as it should be. What I mean is I can push it towards the intake manifold and my idle will drop a few hundred rpms. Then if I cover both holes in the throttle body it will stall. But if I cover both holes in the throttle body without pushing the throttle back it wont stall as if there was a vacuum leak or a throttle sticking open?
Yeah, the throttle plate must return to the fully closed position to attain the proper engine idle speed. Your throttle cable may be adjusted too tightly or the throttle body is dirty and needs a thorough cleaning.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:55 AM
HCF Member

I changed my throttle body/tps sensor today with a used one that I got. I cleaned it out very good with carb cleaner and installed it on my car. It idles so much better now! Idles around 650-700rpm (hard to say with inaccurate tach)when warmed up. 1000rpm was as low as I could get the other throttle body to idle when warm. I need a new tach though mine is old and almost positively inaccurate. My cluster rpm shows my idle to be just over 500rpm but my tach shows it around 750-800.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:40 PM
HCF Member

So it idles good when warm but it is still stalling when I go from driving it cold to idling in neutral or just pushing the clutch in at a stop sign. There is a little suction on the FITV port in the TB, can this cause it to stall on cold starts? This problem is pissing me off its been going on for so long and all this work and things ive tried and still its ****ed!!!
FRUSTRATING!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You are slowly making progress. The sole function of the FITV is to maintain proper idle when the engine is cold. There should be strong pull from the FITV port in the throttle body when the engine is cold. Focus again on the FITV.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
HCF Member

Your right. Thank you to everyone who has helped me so far its really appreciated.
I'm done messing around with used parts im going to order a new FITV today.

Last edited by bcrichguitars; 03-08-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Your right. Thank you to everyone who has helped me so far its really appreciated.
I'm done messing around with used parts im going to order a new FITV today.
First read this HT thread.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 AM
HCF Member

I've already done that twice in this thread, once with my original FITV and once on the 2nd used one.
EDIT: I'm going to try loosening the nylon piece in the FITV a little and see if it fixes the problem.

Last edited by bcrichguitars; 03-09-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I've already done that twice in this thread, once with my original FITV and once on the 2nd used one. I don't know how they could have been both defective though?
Did you carefully adjust the nylon fitting mentioned by joelmatt89 and the FITV DIY thread? You also might consider PM'ing joelmatt89.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:26 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Did you carefully adjust the nylon fitting mentioned by joelmatt89 and the FITV DIY thread? You also might consider PM'ing joelmatt89.
What do you mean by carefully adjust? joelmatt89 said he fixed his problem by loosening the nylon fitting which was screwed in all the way (just like mine).
Just not sure how many turns I should try loosening it.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
HCF Member

Just did a lot of reading and I think my problem could be the PCV valve. I want to try cleaning it after I find out how to remove it, I ordered a new FITV today from Honda for 90 bucks it will be here wednesday!

Quick Reply: Turbo Civic Weird Stalling Problem