ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Turbo Civic Weird Stalling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

Maybe you just need to adjust the idle?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:06 AM
HCF Member

I think you need to read the whole thread first...

"My tuner told me that when he was tuning it he had no luck getting the computer to control the actual idle speed. He also said no matter what he set the idle to in any of the tables, the idle speed never physically responded."

Old 01-16-2009, 01:39 PM
HCF Member

i had a simular problum, my map sensor was screwed, i got a new one and it was all good

Old 01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
HCF Member

Tuning in warm temperatures can affect how it runs in cold temperatures but for normal driving your normally still in closed loop anyway and wont go to open loop till right before boost is made so it sounds more of a mechanical issue if you have no CELs

Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

FIXED!
Took the fast idle thermal valve off today and dissasembled it. Cleaned it with combustion chamber cleaner, I think the coolant passage was (almost) completely clogged with **** and everything was incredibly dirty. Started it up on a cold engine and it actually fast idled around 1500 and worked its way down to normal idle. So far I haven't had any idle problems!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:19 AM
March 2010 ROTM

Just now read this whole thread and kept thinking IACV. I had the same thing last year and once I took it off found it was completely clogged. Good to see its all fixed up though. Post some numbers once its all tuned.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:23 AM
HCF Member

I had already cleaned the IACV before the FITV. Now there is a new problem, I think it may be air in the coolant? The car high idles now when cold (normal) and doesn't stall, but once the engine is warm the idle seems to climb up to about 1400 from around 1000 after driving a lot and putting it in neutral. If I just tap the gas it will drop back to normal. Also when I stop the engine when it is hot, and then turn it back on sometimes it tries to stall. The rpms will drop low and will go up and down and if i tap the gas usually about 2 times the idle steadies itself.
Any ideas what this could be? Air in coolant?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check whether the throttle cable is adjusted too tightly or whether the throttle body plate is sticking and not moving freely.

Next check whether the FITV is now sticking open (see diagram in earlier post). You should not feel any air flow through the throttle body port for the FITV after the engine is hot.

Try bleeding the cooling system of air, which may have been introduced when you cleaned the FITV.

Reset the ECU so the engine can relearn the proper idle.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 AM
HCF Member

thanks for the quick reply
I wont have my car back for about an hour, just getting a Innovate LC1 wideband installed. I stopped at a wreckers today and I pulled two IACV's. After I try what you reccomended to check the FITV, if it doesn't help after I bleed the coolant I will try one of my new IACV's.

Last edited by bcrichguitars; 01-21-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 AM
HCF Member

Mine does that too but its the throttle cable sticking where i had to rig it to fit my B

Quick Reply: Turbo Civic Weird Stalling Problem