ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Turbo Civic Weird Stalling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 AM
HCF Member

I'm going to try and test the TPS and IACV with my multimeter. I'm just wondering when it says what wire to measure the voltage from do I have to strip the wire or can I measure it at the terminal inside the plug?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:36 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by bcrichguitars
I'm going to try and test the TPS and IACV with my multimeter. I'm just wondering when it says what wire to measure the voltage from do I have to strip the wire or can I measure it at the terminal inside the plug?
You dont have to strip the plug and this check is VERY simple... Do you have the Y8? If so all you do is hook the + probe to the middle wire of the harness of the tps and ground - anywhere on motor and you should get reading...

around .5 closed 4.50 WOT

Old 05-08-2009, 12:48 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by chasemclemore
You dont have to strip the plug and this check is VERY simple... Do you have the Y8? If so all you do is hook the + probe to the middle wire of the harness of the tps and ground - anywhere on motor and you should get reading...

around .5 closed 4.50 WOT
Yes but how do I probe a wire that has that plastic insulation stuff on it without stripping it somewhere? You have to measure it while the TPS is plugged in right?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by bcrichguitars
Yes but how do I probe a wire that has that plastic insulation stuff on it without stripping it somewhere? You have to measure it while the TPS is plugged in right?
Yes it has to be plugged in (tps) and ignition must be set to II as well... you have a needle like connector on the end of your + probe right? you just backprobe it ( cram the needle into the back of the harness) in the midde socket with the wire... your probe should be small enough to fit in... I wouldnt splice the wire anywhere to test it or you will have to tape it back up... not to mention with the probe inserted you should have to hold it by hand when turning the throttle... Trust me, its really easy!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I read on another forum that someone used sewing needles as back probes, if your probes are too large.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 PM
HCF Member

I tested the TPS and it was 05. closed and 4.6 open which seems to be normal. I unplugged the IACV and tested one side and it has 12.8V and the other side I belive had little to no voltage maybe 0.03. As far as I know this is all normal, I have a brand new FITV, Coolant Temp Sensor, and thermostat but I still have this idling problem. It will idle fine when warmed up a little but it will sometimes die on hot starts unless I hold the gas down a bit to start it. Sometimes in the cold it will die when I stop at a stop sign or come to a stop when the engine is cold. What else could cause this? Could maybe just tightening my throttle cable a bit fixthe problem?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you tried adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body?

Last edited by RonJ; 05-11-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:11 AM
HCF Member

Yes I've adjusted the idle screw and cable. I'm starting to think my alternator is the problem I might get it tested/rebuilt.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I have a recommendation. This thread has nearly 120 posts, so many people will not read or reread it all when posting suggestions. To avoid redundant feedback, I think you should start a new thread where the first post summarizes your setup (car, engine, modifications), the idle problem, and all that you have done to attempt to fix it. Be sure to provide a link to the current thread as a reference.

Also state why you currently suspect the alternator.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 AM
HCF Member

Just a thought, see if your throttle stop screw has been messed with (the yellow paint will not be aligned), mine had been messed with and our problems are very similar, cleared my problem right up last weekend.

Quick Reply: Turbo Civic Weird Stalling Problem