ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

TPS/ECU problems???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Default TPS/ECU problems???

Here is what we have, a 2000 civic with ecu p2m-a71, engine d16y5 and trans c5b it also has p20 and s20 on the trans. This was an auto car swapped to manual before we got it. It seems to be a good swap not sure if ecu was changed or not but no trans codes.

The problem is it will intermitinly idle up to 1500 and in slow traffic it bucks and jumps until you can get going again. Also in lower gears it jerks when getting on or off the gas if the idle is high. When the idle is normal no jerking.

Another problem in the last 2 days is that any time it gets over 3000 rpm it starts cutting out and bucking real hard. The odd part about that is the speedo also starts jumping around. If you keep it under 3000 rpm it runs fine.

The cel was out but that is fixed and I get code 7 tps, I checked voltage through the range and it is steady and I pinned the wires from tps to ecu and they check fine. I have cleared the code several times and as soon as it is started the light comes on and code 7 again.

I am thinking the ecu is fried but want to know if anyone has any other thoughts or ideas to check. Also after having the instrument cluster out the tach doesnt work, one time last week I noticed it went to 0 while driving but just for a second and have not noticed any other problems with it until now, thinking ground problem but who knows.

I am looking to clean the iacv but I have no cleaner so maybe tomorrow.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: TPS/ECU problems???

1) Has the car previously been running fine and these problems recently occurred? Or did you recently acquire the car and it had these issues from the beginning? In this regard, information in the 96-00 Civic manual indicates that the TPS wiring in the D16Y5/AT is different from that in the D16Y5/MT. The former routes to ECU connector C whereas the latter routes to ECU connector D.

2) If the problem is not due to an incompatibility of the TPS (AT) and ECU (MT), then the TPS may be bad. Your tests may not reveal the problem as it is intermittent. Also, have you carefully inspected the TPS connector for damage or corrosion? The problem could also potentially be found there.

3) The gauge cluster problems are likely unrelated. Check whether the rear connectors are firmly seated and not loose.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:13 PM

The high idle concern has been since we got the car a couple of weeks ago. There was a small amount of green fuzz on the tps connector that I cleaned out as good as I could with a wire brush as I have no other cleaner at this time. Would you reccomend replacing the connector and tps due to corrosion?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

See the edits in my first post.

The high idle concern has been since we got the car a couple of weeks ago. There was a small amount of green fuzz on the tps connector that I cleaned out as good as I could with a wire brush as I have no other cleaner at this time. Would you reccomend replacing the connector and tps due to corrosion?
If during the transmission swap, the engine TPS wiring was properly altered to match the ECU, then all your tests would point to an intermittently faulty TPS. Did you test the TPS with a scan tool? If so, you might be able to capture real time TPS data when the faults occur. Such data might confirm the idea of a bad TPS.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: RonJ
information in the 96-00 Civic manual indicates that the TPS wiring in the D16Y5/AT is different from that in the D16Y5/MT. The former routes to ECU connector C whereas the latter routes to ECU connector D.
I have been using a dvom for testing so no real time testing. I am fairly sure that the wiring has not been rerouted to d connector as my pin test was in c connector although I dont know that the ecu has been changed for sure, I am guessing due to lack of trans codes. Is there a way to tell for sure if is a at or mt ecu?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 07_civiclx_ms
...I am fairly sure that the wiring has not been rerouted to d connector as my pin test was in c connector although I dont know that the ecu has been changed for sure, I am guessing due to lack of trans codes. Is there a way to tell for sure if is a at or mt ecu?
As the TPS is still routed to ECU connector C, the AT wiring has not likely been altered to accommodate the MT swap. Instead, my guess would be that the original D16Y5 AT ECU was replaced with a D16Y8 or B16A2 MT ECU. This should prevent a TPS incompatibility. I am not knowledge enough to tell you how to verify my assumptions. By the way, did the previous owner intentionally disable the CEL?

Again, if the swap did not cause any ECU incompatibilities, then I would focus on the TPS as the source of your problem. Forty04 recently mentioned that the TPS now can be replaced without replacing the entire throttle body.

If you don't already have the 96-00 Civic manual, get it here:

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

This should help with further troubleshooting of the TPS and its circuit.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 AM

I am experiencing similiar problems with my TPS. My stock TPS went out intermittently and I replaced it with an OMNI-POWER unit (the only company I could find that made the sensor without having to buy the entire throttle body). I adjusted it with a multimeter and the CEL went on again and showed the same error code, now I'm wondering if the wiring is crap or if there is a problem with it holding the adjustment.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:57 PM

update: we installed a TPS from streetimports.com and it worked fine for alittle while but eventually ended back to where we started. the cel never went away after installing the new tps. does anyone know anyway to verify wether ecu is for manual or automatic or is there a difference?

all of the manuals that we have tried to download were not for a 2000 civic lx. does anybody have a link to one that is or an illustration that you could post. all we need is the wiring diagrams for the ecu and tps.

any thoughts or suggestions would be great.