ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Street tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Default RE: Street tuning

with hondata s300 you dont need anyhting but a laptop to tune it. the wideband helps but becides that you dont need anything else but a laptop to tune it with.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: MY99SI

with hondata s300 you dont need anyhting but a laptop to tune it. the wideband helps but becides that you dont need anything else but a laptop to tune it with.
You can not tune without a wideband, period

Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 PM

If my ECU wasn't such a pain in the *** to pull out, I'd take some pictures to give you a visual reference of what is going on. I'm going to be tuning someone this Sunday/Monday so if I remember I'll take some pics of what's going on.

All in all the concept is pretty simple as far as hardware goes. You have an ECU that has a 28 pin connection desoldered and replaced with what is called a ".zif" socket. Said socket is pushed into place in the pins (normally isn't soldered, just plugged). There is a little lever on the socket that clamps the chips in place.

For street tuning you start out with just getting the car to idle. Sometimes the car fires up and runs, other time the car fires up and dies immediately. Basically you have to make adjustments to the map until the car runs. Keep tuning it until you have a good solid idle at the correct AFRs depending on how cold your spark plugs are and how wide your gap is etc. Then you tune partial throttle the same way. Drive the car around, find where it's going lean/rich and make adjustments according to vacuum readings, rpms, and AFRs. Datalogging helps a TON with this. Once you get your partial throttle down... get another set of eyes.

Do a 3rd or 4th gear pull for WOT! 2nd just makes it impossible, you're moving through the RPMs fast and the AFRs go nuts. The reason I say get a second pair of eyes is so that one can drive and watch the road, and the other can keep an eye on the RPMs and AFRs. If you're by yourself you have to be careful, but again datalogging is really nice to have. If the car goes too far lean at any point in time, you let off immediately. Generally when the car goes lean it will keep getting leaner really fast.

Each time you want to make a change, you have to pull the chip out of the .zif socket, and drop it into the burner. Erase the chip, burn the new maps onto it, and place it back in the ECU. Royal pain in the ***, but if you have a realtime emulator you can just click and immediately change the maps on the fly... which is really nice and something I really need to get. Then, after you're completely done you can burn a final chip and put it in the .zif socket and button everything up.

Obviously there's a lot more to that, you do NOT tune timing on the street. Only fuel, a dyno is used for timing changes. And also, you do NOT tune a car if you do not have a wideband, I don't care how good you think you are it shouldn't be done.

Hope that gives you a better idea.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Name:  chippedecu.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  43.5 KB

Old 04-11-2007, 12:42 PM

Thank you Forty, exactly what i'm talking about. The blue part is the .zif socket, and the chip is sitting inside of it.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

No problem man.

Hey, when you get a chance, could yougive THIS a looksee and let me know if I missed anything?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

Obviously there's a lot more to that, you do NOT tune timing on the street. Only fuel, a dyno is used for timing changes. And also, you do NOT tune a car if you do not have a wideband, I don't care how good you think you are it shouldn't be done.

so, i was going back re-reading some old Wideband threads to research it some more, and i found my old thread right here and found something i never read before. If you can't tune timing on the street, and i am just going to get a street tune, what is the advanatge of an OBD1 chip/burn/tune over just a piggy back? You cant tune timing anyway right?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

If my ECU wasn't such a pain in the *** to pull out, I'd take some pictures to give you a visual reference of what is going on. I'm going to be tuning someone this Sunday/Monday so if I remember I'll take some pics of what's going on.

All in all the concept is pretty simple as far as hardware goes. You have an ECU that has a 28 pin connection desoldered and replaced with what is called a ".zif" socket. Said socket is pushed into place in the pins (normally isn't soldered, just plugged). There is a little lever on the socket that clamps the chips in place.

For street tuning you start out with just getting the car to idle. Sometimes the car fires up and runs, other time the car fires up and dies immediately. Basically you have to make adjustments to the map until the car runs. Keep tuning it until you have a good solid idle at the correct AFRs depending on how cold your spark plugs are and how wide your gap is etc. Then you tune partial throttle the same way. Drive the car around, find where it's going lean/rich and make adjustments according to vacuum readings, rpms, and AFRs. Datalogging helps a TON with this. Once you get your partial throttle down... get another set of eyes.

Do a 3rd or 4th gear pull for WOT! 2nd just makes it impossible, you're moving through the RPMs fast and the AFRs go nuts. The reason I say get a second pair of eyes is so that one can drive and watch the road, and the other can keep an eye on the RPMs and AFRs. If you're by yourself you have to be careful, but again datalogging is really nice to have. If the car goes too far lean at any point in time, you let off immediately. Generally when the car goes lean it will keep getting leaner really fast.

Each time you want to make a change, you have to pull the chip out of the .zif socket, and drop it into the burner. Erase the chip, burn the new maps onto it, and place it back in the ECU. Royal pain in the ***, but if you have a realtime emulator you can just click and immediately change the maps on the fly... which is really nice and something I really need to get. Then, after you're completely done you can burn a final chip and put it in the .zif socket and button everything up.

I would have to agree with everything said there, except for the chip burning and timing adjustments.

When NOT using an emulator, you will have to burn the chip, put it in the car, try it out, remove the chip, make some changes, burn and reinstall the chip, etc. When burning a chip, you never have to erase it before burning it... The new tune will be burned over the last tune, therefore erasing the old tune automatically. Burning takes about 5 seconds...

Timing adjustments while street tuning, completely doable as long as you somewhat know what your doing and make very small changes at a time. Although it is extremely beneficial to tune timing on a dyno, then you just adjust timing until your torque curve starts dropping off, then just back timing down a degree or two from there...

I use Crome on my 99EX boosted D16, and the real time tuning with the emulator(Ostrich)is so much easier and faster. I make all my changes on the fly in real time and when I get my tune perfect, just burn a chip and install, done! Crome Pro offers datalogging, which would make things MUCH MUCH MUCH easier and safer, especially when street tuning.

WIDEBAND IS A MUST!!! NO IF'S AND's or BUT's about it....KABOOM!!!! EGT sensor is also very useful for timing adjustments, especially while street tuning.