ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Street tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:35 PM
HCF Member
Default Street tuning

Have a couple questions about street tuning that i couldnt find really anywhere, and i know alot of you guys have some knowledge on this so:

- Where does the laptop actaully plug into?

- What are all the components you need? Laptop w/ tuning program(crome, hondata, etc)+ cable, Wideband o2 sensor, ??? (or correct me if i'm wrong)

- Is it as efficient as dyno tuning since alot of times you cant get going 100 mph+ on roads? Or do you do it at a track?

- When installing a new chip in the ECU, does it involved soldering? And from what i'm getting, once the new chip is in the ECU, you tune the chip?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_tuning< helped me out alot, but i really want to understand tuning alot more.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:48 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Street tuning

this doesn't answer all of your questions but I just posted this link in another thread, it's a good read. http://www.phearable.net/tech/efibeginnerguide.html

Old 04-10-2007, 06:58 AM
HCF Member

thanx mxs

EDIT: i just read that entire thing and that should for real be a sticky at the top of ECU/Fuel Managemtn, that answers sooooo many questions

Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ask soviet he has done chrome chipping and street tuning. its basicly rough tuning the top end but mainly down low so you can drive the car and have a decent air/fuel ratio. yes you have to solder the ecu chip onto the ecu

Old 04-10-2007, 09:34 AM
HCF Member

So from what i'm getting out of this, you bring your car to the dyno. Hook a romulator up to your ECU and to a computer with a program on it (Crome, Hondata, Neptune, etc). You run the car on the dyno and make adjusts via the romulator. Once all the adjustments are made, you save the map, plug the chip burner into the laptop and burn the chip. You then solder the new chip onto the board. From there, you can hook a wideband up, plug a laptop into the ECU (which i would like to know how it actually hooks up to the ECU) and go out and Street Tune? Make adjustments for daily driving and whatnot.

Is this correct? Please correct my mistakes, i think i'm finally understanding this stuff though....

Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ugh... basically

The chip is always removable. Some tuners do not have real time programming abilities, and will have to pull the chip, burn the map, then put the chip back in everytime they want to make adjustments. Most tuners will have real time gear though, which enables them to make on the fly changes, which is dope

Old 04-10-2007, 11:00 AM
HCF Member

putting the chip in requires soldering right? So removing that must be pretty incovenient [:'(]

^ and other than romulator, thats the only other way to tune it then right? ^

thanks though tony

Old 04-10-2007, 11:09 AM
mxs
HCF Member

no, the SOCKET is soldered in, the chip goes into the socket. Chips are removeable

Old 04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
HCF Member

thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Cat Fuсker

And to make things even easier to remove there are zif sockets available.

Quick Reply: Street tuning