ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Seat belt buzzer, how to kill?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Default Seat belt buzzer, how to kill?

Ive got a 1990 Civic 4dr.

I always where my seatbelt, but for some reason it still dings, and flashes the light on the dash for me to buckle up. Ive cleaned the contacts an the seat belts, and the internal workings. Ive tried jumping the wires, and testing them to see what each one does that goes into the seat, and the auto belt over the door. Ive tried to trace down the speaker, and i end up with my head by the ECU, or basicly behind everything in my center consol.
When i plug the top belt in, it will pause for a second, and then start dinging again. The bottom belt seems to have no effect on the system at all, ive unpluged and repluged it, made sure everything was ok inside of the connection. Ive got a haynes book on the car, but for soem reason it reads to 1991 on the cover, but anything inside is to 87 So it does not have the correct wiring for my car in it.

Any way to get this buzzer to shut up? I dont mind the light on the dash, but the dinging all the time is killing me.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Default RE: Seat belt buzzer, how to kill?

No one has any advice? Ive tried to do the CRX tricks, with the plug under the seat or jumping it but mine has 6 wires, and no power seat. Others say theres a buzzer by the review mirror, onmy car there isnt.

Any ideas are welcome, this thing is driving me nuts.

Did i post this in the wrong forum?

Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 AM

A 45 magnum usually does the job!

Old 09-02-2005, 12:10 PM

A 45 magnum usually does the job!
If my stereo wasnt able to get louder than the dang dinger, then i would be going that route.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:40 PM
HCF Member

i would first try resetting the ECU. Unplug the negitive terminal from the battery, leave it for 15 mins and then put it back on. See if that works. If not, go under the seat and unclip the male and femal adapters for the light sensor, this will disable the noise AND the blinking light on the gauge cluster.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

find the chime relay under the dash ---then smash it with a hammer

Old 09-02-2005, 06:14 PM

Or just pull that relay.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:57 PM

Well the underseat thing just makes it stay on, but having it unpluged for a while, and then plugging back in, it will not ding for a while, sometimes it will start dinging again, so i unplug and then replug and its good.

Ive looked for the Buzzer, but cant find, if anyone knows where the relay its that would be great, and ill just pull it for future things.

For your guyses info, for some reason my car seems to be wired differently then others, at lest CRXs that is, the plugs under my seat have 6 leeds, but all are for the seat belt buckle, others seem to just be 2 wires, and unplugging works for those.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:00 AM
HCF Member

If the problem continues see if it's covered under Honda's lifetime seatbelt warranty. I don't know what year your Civic is, but if it's newer pulling the relay may affect the SRS and two-stage airbags. Since you're wearing your seatbelt, you don't want the car thinking that you aren't wearing it and changing how the airbag deploys.