ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Jumper Harness for Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Default Jumper Harness for Automatic

I read somewhere that most if not all jumper harnesses are made for manual ecu's only....does anyone know if this is true or might be true?? I have an automatic obd2 car(d16y8) with an obd1 block(d16z6) and its throwing a knock sensor code so i decided to just buy a p28(an automatic one) and use a jumper harness to get rid of that code instead of replacing the block...

Old 08-23-2008, 05:13 PM

d16z6 doesn't have a knock sensor
once you get the P28 hooked up, the code should be gone, since the P28 can't throw a knock sensor code

Old 08-23-2008, 06:59 PM

yeah thats what i was told [ i think actually you're the one who told me that =) ] but from what i've read jumper harness are made for only 5 speed ecu's....and the p28 i bought is an auto and my car is auto so yeah..i havent got the jumper harness yet but if they make them for 5 speed only then i'm gonna have to alter my plans

Old 08-23-2008, 07:04 PM

what jumper harness?
the obd2-obd1 conversion harness? if so, no the conversion harness should be the same, the manual and auto ecu's both use the same harness

Old 08-23-2008, 08:52 PM

yeah conversion harness, i was thinking about purchasing off this website but if you notice in one of the asterisks it says for manual vehicles only.

http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcar...ness-p-34.html

Old 08-23-2008, 09:39 PM

the ones on procivic don't mention anything about being tranny specific
http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...952/index.html

Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
the ones on procivic don't mention anything about being tranny specific
http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...952/index.html
cool thanks for the website, and i was looking through your pictures earlier and i was wondering how you wired that foot light to your dome light relay....i kinda wanted to do that same thing but with neon lights...like only have them turn on when i open the door and when i turn on/off the alarm you know...

Old 08-23-2008, 11:24 PM

what i did is i hooked my LEDs straight up to my dome light using some wire.
that was my best option because it's easy for me to run wires like that in the del sol because they way the interior pieces are.

your best bet is to do this:
run the positive wires to a constant 12v source.
run the ground wires to the dome light's door switch. when the door opens, the door switch grounds the ground wire and completes the circuit, thus making the light turn on.

it's a switch in the door jamb that has a rubber thing over it and if you push it while the door is open, the dome light will turn off.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:57 AM

ahh i see i see well i'll definitely give that a try. Thanks alot for all the info. Would there also be a way that i could wire like a toggle switch to it??

Old 08-24-2008, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by chrismeister21
ahh i see i see well i'll definitely give that a try. Thanks alot for all the info. Would there also be a way that i could wire like a toggle switch to it??
yea but that would kinda make it inconvenient. but it's your choice of course.

the other reason i wired it directly to the dome light, is so if i drop something on the floor i can turn on the dome light like normal and the floor lights will come on with it.
if you only hook it up to the door switch it will only come on when the door is open.

to wire it to the dome light without a pain, you could ask around and find out where the dome light wires run in the car, so you could just splice into those wires in a more convenient location. although, if you splice into the wires, the floor lights won't come on when you flip the dome light switch, only when the door is open.

the only way to make them function exactly like the dome light switch is to wire them directly to the dome light's bulb contacts, or to install a 3-position switch somewhere and wire them to both a regular ground and the door switch ground, and also the constant 12v source.

Quick Reply: Jumper Harness for Automatic