ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

JDM Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:46 AM
HCF Member
Default JDM Gauge Cluster

So watching the video on the Acura Integra with the wild compression made me want to get a JDM gauge cluster with the kilometers and all that good stuff. It would be sweet having something somewhat unique like that and having people always be like "Oh man, are we really going that fast?" would be awesome. <---------Yeah, it's a nice ego boost, so what? The dilemna isn't getting one (Ebay is my friend and yours too!), it's whether or not the speedometer will work with just plug and play, or is there an adjustment that needs to be made anywhere. I'm figuring by looking at both gauges that the speed increments are just closer together for the kilometers than miles and it just increases the same for both. Alright, enough babbling, here's the question directly: Is a JDM gauge cluster for an 88-91 Civic plug and play or does something else have to be done. As always, thanks for your time guys.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:10 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: JDM Gauge Cluster

I beleive its the same. My friend has a jdm cluster in all his civics/crx's. I have one in my 92 cx it droped right in on mine. Although I might have to do some adjustment to it to get the dimmer switch to work with it if I even really care.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:26 AM
HCF Member

Sweet. The back plug inserts are completely identical. I was stressing on the signal and the speedometer not reading right.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:27 AM

It will plug right in but alot of the JDM ones dont have the SRS controls so your airbags may be permanently disabled.

(I know this doesnt really apply to the ef but I posted it for future reference for anyone searching)

Old 11-27-2005, 02:21 PM
HCF Member

Sorry Mad7s I gave you wrong information. I just got off the phone with my friend that did it to his car. He said that it wasnt as easy as I thought it was. My car drops in but on yours the plug is different for the jdm cars and on usdm they changed between 88-89 and 90-91. Also the jdm ones used a speed sensor where the usdm uses a cable. Sorry about getting your hopes up. He did say that the Eurospec ones are easier I forget the reason why either the plug was the same or they also used a speedo cable.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:26 PM
HCF Member

My car drops in but on yours the plug is different for the jdm cars and on usdm they changed between 88-89 and 90-91.
Do you know which one switched? I have an 88 and all the Ebay cats are saying 88-89 switches right out with the USDM one. Appreciate your time man.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:38 PM
HCF Member

My friend civic hb and crx are both 88's. I know for sure he sad he had to rewire. I think he also mentioned he had to add in a speed sensor. not 100% on that one. Ill ask again when i speak to him next. AS for the cluster it can be done if you really like the look and its worth it to you I would say do it. I got it for mine so that my redline would be at the right spot and to have a tach in it at all, since my cx had none. Only draw back is if you are trying to do the speed limit you have to do the conversion in your head since it doesnt have mph on it. (40kmh=25mph)