ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

greddy e-manage

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: greddy e-manage

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: MY99SI

well you wont need aset of DSM 450's unless you plan on boosting to about 12psi

even then your goin to need a way to control those injectors : IE: standalone engine management or a VAFC Hack
450's are good insurance at anything over 8psi. You most certainly do not need a stand alone management system to run them, Hack's aren't a good idea either.

Chip the ecu, have a basemap put on it, then take it to a tuner

how am i suppose to chip the ecu and put a basemap on it?

Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

There are a couple of websites you can order chipped ECU's from, I know Stealthmode sells them, but there are others. Cant really think of them off the top of my head.

Or, if you can get your hands on the proper ECU, I can talk to my buddy and see how much he would charge you, its usually cheaper that way. And if he does it, he can burn your basemap for you. He'll just take all of your mods, motor specs, turbo specs, etc and set you up with a rough map. After that, your mission is to take it straight to a tuner and have them tune it

Also, VAFC hacks have been known to work, I just dont think its the most efficient way to go about doing things.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:07 PM
HCF Member

ok i understand, so i get the basemap done from someone, and then bring the ecu to the tuner shop to tune it to my correct air/fuel ratio with my turbo kit, y dont i get the tuner shop to chip the ecu and tune it??? also how do i noe if i have thep roper ecu, i plan to get a jdm b16a2 and it comes with the p30ecu.... is this correct?

Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

so you and your friends think Hondata and any other program (crome, neptune, etc.) is useless unless your pushing 300hp+?
no i jus havent had any experience with any other programs becides hondata and the VAFC

Old 03-28-2007, 09:04 PM
HCF Member

i have the greddy kit with e-manage. whats so bad about it? i bought it used and its dyno set at 8 lbs.since i have obd2 what oither route is there. going to obd1 will just make me fail emissions

Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 PM
HCF Member

First and foremost, I have been eyeing this thread, and noticed a few posts by someone that make 0 sense. I STRESS the following. DO NOT listen to someone just because they have a high post count, it means nothing. Now on to the subject.

VAFC Hack is like a band aid. Its OK I guess for a budget, but you get what you pay for. Basically, you will make much more power @ a safer level with a chipped and tuned ECU.
GReddy Emanage is decent, but its way over-priced. The unit can be tuned, but not as accuratly as a chipped program, like Chrome, Turbo Edit, or the new and possibly best program "Neptune". Why pay 4-500$ for a GReddy Emanage and then 2-300 on wire harness's when most tuners will charge like 7-800 for a tune AND the program?
Hondata. Can be the best for you, IF you come across one for cheap on ebay. Tuners charge by time or tune. If you have a hondata unit and its ready to go....you could get it tuned on a dyno for as little as300 bucks. So if you are lucky enough to get it for 2-300 used on ebay, you can save a hundred or soover the chipped ecu and tune.

As far as I am concerned, Chipped programs are the best. They allow the tuner to see everything thats going on inside theECU, and allows them to adjust anything that will better the enginescondition. Some of the programs have Launch controll, and can even controllwhat temp the radiator fan kicks on at. Hondata and other programs ARE good, but the adjustability of these newprograms is unbeatable as far as max power @ max reliability is concerned.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 PM
HCF Member

which posts didnt make sense Pete? thats an honest question cuz i thought mine were mostly straight forward....

i said the same thing as youabout the piggybacks being overpriced, and just having a plug and play unit is better than wiring in a piggyback and also cheaper.

and also that all the VAFCs do is adjust the a/f ratio, as opposed to tuning an OBD1 where you can adjust whatever you want, just like you said in your bottom paragraph.

this isnt a cocky, defensive reply, i really want to know what information of mine is wrong.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:04 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

which posts didnt make sense Pete? thats an honest question cuz i thought mine were mostly straight forward....

i said the same thing as youabout the piggybacks being overpriced, and just having a plug and play unit is better than wiring in a piggyback and also cheaper.

and also that all the VAFCs do is adjust the a/f ratio, as opposed to tuning an OBD1 where you can adjust whatever you want, just like you said in your bottom paragraph.

this isnt a cocky, defensive reply, i really want to know what information of mine is wrong.
d00d, you said an AEM EMS is a piggy back. Do you know what the AEM EMS is? Its called a stand alone system. I have one but its made by Apex'i (Power FC Commander). It is by NO means a piggyback. If you have a stand alone, it means you literally ditched the and or 'a' Honda ECU to its entirety and swaped it out for a completly different aftermarket ECU. Stand alones have their ups and downs. In a stand alone its technically a " There is no spoon" (matrix quote) concept. You dont have to manuever around obstacles that an ECU will throw at you. What you tell it, it does. But like I said, a stand alone can bite you in the as sometimes.

For the record, im looking to get rid of mine in favor of an Hondata s300 P28.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:58 AM
HCF Member

thanks for the reply Remmy, my bad and wont make the same mistake next time [&:]

Old 03-31-2007, 11:56 PM
HCF Member

Tuning has to do with much more than controlling the injectors. Tuning is all about controlling spark, timing, injectors, and the air fuel ratio. Not tryin to call anyone out in this thread, just stating facts. Im no tuner in any aspect so I know the bare min when it comes to it. I just know what programs are most popular and which ones have best results/feedback.

Quick Reply: greddy e-manage