ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

ECU's and Turbo's

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:28 PM
HCF Member

I don't have the answers now as far as what all I'm going to do for the turbo or mods to the engine. I haven't made any decisions on any of that. I really have gotten deeper into the subject of the turbo, than I meant to. I was exploring the test harness when all this started. As soon as I make any decisions I'll post here first for everyone's opinion. Sounds like good advice, as far as the steps to obtaining a turboed car.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:23 PM
HCF Member

I think I've narrowed the no spark problem to the ignitor. I checked the voltage between B15 and A18 and B17 and A18 to be 2 volts lower than battery voltage. Since the manuals flowchart doesn't give a range for the specs. It only asks if battery voltage is present with key on. I'm thinking any drop is deeming the ignitor bad.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

Well a little up date, I have the car running again. After replacing the ignition control unit and coil. But I still have the miss. It is on all 4 cyl. There isn't any codes in the ecu. So I guess I'll start checking all the sensors as there listed in the flow chart unless someone has a better idea or has heard of this before and can lend some guidance. Thanks

Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Chubby Chaser

have you ran/drove the car for about 15 mins to see if the cel comes on, also when you turn your key on does the cel light up for about 2 secs?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:09 AM
HCF Member

No I haven't ran or drove it that long after I have gotten it running but its acting like it did before. I think I miss diagnosed the problem to began with. I believe it was missing on all the cyl to began with. And It never did code the ECU. The CEL does come on for 2-3 sec. and I hear the fuel pump run during that time. Also the LED inside the ECU will flash for a split second......I'll drive it around for about 15 - 20 min to see if it will place a code now. Maybe it's a new problem fooling me to believe its the same one I started with. If it don't code the only thing I know to do is start back on the flow chart and pull "B" connector so forth and so on.....? Any thoughts? Thanks...........OK.....I drove the car 20-25 min.and ...no code..I'm sure its a firing problem...as I can hook up my induction timing light and watch it miss fire on all cyls.

Last edited by notnormal; 10-10-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:17 AM
HCF Member

Today i changed out the distributor. I still have the miss. I'm at a loss of what to check next. the only thing I Think of now is the ECU. But it seems to be working, I can unplug sensors and it will code the ECU. ????

Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 AM

when you put the distributor back on did you properly set the ignition timing?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
HCF Member

Yes, I jumped out the the 2 pin connector as the manual states (which in on the inner fender well on the left side, not on the firewall as the manual states) set the timming to the center mark which the manual said was RED. Removed the jumper and now the car misses worst than when I started. So far I have CLEANED AND GREASED all my grounds than have anything to do with the engine and firing. (G1, G2, G101, G201, G301) I found no problem with any of them, Changed plug wires, plugs, rotor button, distributor cap, No change. Then I changed out the distributor. Problem got worse. Cra is still missing on all cyl. I'm at a lost. Other than starting my troubleshooting chart over to see if I have missed a lose wire or something.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Chubby Chaser

after about an hr on the phone i think we may have this fixed,

Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

OK, mechanical timing checked, belt was lose & thought to be off 1 tooth. I moved timing belt 1 tooth & tightened as manual said. I couldn't get timing to set correctly with light so I reset mechanical timing, tightened belt and timed with light. Timing set correct this time. But car still runs rough. Next I'll jack up car and lower right front tire onto my head.......see if that helps. LOL

Quick Reply: ECU's and Turbo's