ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

ecm problem please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:51 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs down ecm problem please help!

Hi, i have an automatic 93 honda civic EX 4dr, that just wont start! and i think its either the distributor or the ecm. im looking into getting a new ecm and was wondering if anyone can tell me what all has to be the same. like can i put a 5-speed ecm on an automatic car? i had the engine replaced not to long ago and they put in a 1.5 liter, but when im searching for parts for my car it ALWAYS says they originally have 1.6 liter engines in them. so since its got a smaller engine in it than it originally did, do you think its messing with the ecm? any input would be greatly appreciated!
-thanks

Old 06-03-2009, 04:34 PM

needs to have an automatic ECU. Find out your engine code. It's stamped on the front of the block.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Post the CEL codes. Do you have spark? Does the fuel pump prime?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

RonJ doesnt the CEL light have to come on and stay on in order for the CEL codes to work? because it doesnt stay on goes away after about 5 seconds. no i dont have spark. and for the fuel pump, i have a keyless entry system on my car witch locks the doors after i turn my car over and unlocks them when i turn my car off. so as im turning my car over to listen for the fuel pump, i hear the loudness of the main relay, then the doors lock. so im not entirely sure if its making any noise because of all the other noises going on at the same time.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 PM
HCF Member

i dont know if these will help but i grabbed them anyways.

Engine #: HM
D15B

ECM #: 37820-P06-A51
741-221253

VIN #: JHMEG8655P8046701

Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I don't think there are any CEL codes.

Remove fuse 6 under the dash to temporarily disable the power locks. This way you can listen for the low humming sound of the fuel pump priming in the rear for 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON(II). Do you hear it?

How did you check for spark?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 PM
HCF Member

ok i'll try removing the fuse tomorrow. i checked the spark by pulling out the spark plug tube and putting a screw driver in there to see if sparked and it didnt.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by new_2_civics
i checked the spark by pulling out the spark plug tube and putting a screw driver in there to see if sparked and it didnt.
Not sure how reliable this method is, but it surely runs the risk of blowing the coil if it wasn't blown already. Click the Spark link in my signature. Test a plug this way.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:48 PM
HCF Member

the cars not close to me so the more information i have when i go over there will be better for the best result! so RonJ what should i do if i hear the fuel pump? and what should i do if i dont hear it?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by new_2_civics
the cars not close to me so the more information i have when i go over there will be better for the best result! so RonJ what should i do if i hear the fuel pump? and what should i do if i dont hear it?
If the fuel pump doesn't prime, then check whether fuse 31 under the hood or fuses 18 or 24 under the dash is blown. If not, then check the main relay, which is the most common cause for the fuel pump not priming. If all this is fine, then the fuel pump or wires between the fuel pump and main relay should be checked.

If you indeed lack spark, check the coil and igniter unit in the distributor. Another possibility is that the timing belt snapped.

If you happen to lack both fuel and spark, then check the important ground wire on the thermostat housing. It may be loose, disconnected, or corroded.

Quick Reply: ecm problem please help!