ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Did a tune up and the car died

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Default Did a tune up and the car died

Today I just did a tune up on my 95 civic dx 1.5l. This consisted of plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I labelled everything before I took the old parts off and labelled the new parts for installation. Problem I had at a point was one of the screws in the old cap broke off so it remained in the hole. I installed all the new items without removing that broken bolt. When the new cap went on I just used 2 of the three screws and it held on tight. I started it up and it ran fine. Did a test drive about a mile and came back and just idled for a minute then the car gurgled and bogged itself out. It wouldn't start after that. I did pull the plugs to see if it was getting spark or not and it definetly wasn't seeing as how I could smell gas on them and they were wet with gas. So it's narrowed to no spark. What could be causing this? Seeing as how it ran for a mile flawlessly I wouldn't think it's faulty parts. Could it be that the screw I'm lacking is affecting it or is it something deeper? Any help would be great. Another thing is, how can I get that broken screw out?

Old 03-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Did a tune up and the car died

did you open the car up at all while you were driving down the road?

Old 03-28-2006, 06:27 PM

I did a little bit. Not like pedal to the floor but I got on it. Did a variation. Some slow cruising and then quick accelerating from a stop sign.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:19 PM
HCF Member

did you change the rotor? that little pain in the a__ screw comes loose real easy, id check that FIRST..

Old 03-28-2006, 08:48 PM

Yeah I replaced the rotor it was a pain in the *** with the screw to get the old one out even. Had to have someone turn the key at intervals till it came around to get unscrewed. I'll check that out tomorrow. Remember that I only did a test drive for like a mile or less so could it come THAT loose in that short of time to mess things up?

Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
HCF Member

im taking bets........

Old 03-28-2006, 08:54 PM

Haha so you're saying it's very likely that's the problem? It sure would be nice.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 PM
HCF Member

hate to admit it, but, im speaking from experience. only when it happened to me, i was a $100.00 tow ride from my tools. if id known that was problem.. so simple, and alot cheaper... live and learn...

Old 03-28-2006, 10:17 PM

My bad with the year I typed in my original post. I put 05 when it's actually a ten year older 95. I changed it now.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:30 PM
HCF Member

thats no biggie, did you check the rotor yet????

Quick Reply: Did a tune up and the car died