ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

chrome vs hondata

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:49 PM
HCF Member
Default chrome vs hondata

what are the advantages of running chrome vs hondata?

im going to be tuning for 290-300whp on a mustang dyno andi am kind of worried if chrome will be up to the challenge...

ill be upgrading to hondata for sure once i buy my 780cc injectors and upgrade my intercooler / piping, but for now will i be ok with chrome?

and what are the advantages of upgrading to hondata?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Default RE: chrome vs hondata

Crome *can* handle that kind of power. Plenty of people do.

However, don't expect wonderful driveability and you will probably have a buttload of startup and load problems unless your tuner somehow miraculously nails the settings the first time. Crome is a program that a non-tuner will not notice a lot wrong with it, but someone who tunes it will probably hate it once they get some time with Hondata. I haven't met a single person to date who has not gone from tuning Crome, to playing with Hondata/Neptune, to no longer tuning Crome because it's so damn buggy and sucks so much to set up and tune with.

For what it is it's a good program, and I really can't sit down and describe the differences between Hondata and Crome because you really need to drive the same car tuned with both to understand. It's like the difference between a good turbo setup and a working turbo setup. The working one works, it drives, it makes boost and power... but the good setup is flawless, it's smooth, it's a big beefy powerband that you don't have to worry about. Remember, when you tune a car it's not just about making it run at full boost and make power. A good tune will make a car act just like normal under partial throttle driving (90% of street cars driving) and a monster under WOT with an idle that will make a stock car jealous. Crome just won't do it, the idle is often ****ty and lumpy, the partial throttle is the same, and the power is eh compared to when you strap a good tuning system. My car idles like stock, partial throttle is mostly like stock (780cc injectors simply won't allow perfection), and well WOT speaks for itself.

If you ask anyone who has ONLY used Crome they will fight tooth and nail with what I have to say. For instance, when I switched to Hondata I had a "friend" (we'll call him that because it's shorter than know-it-all-punk-with-nothing-to-show-for-it) who would tell me time and time again that it wasn't worth it and that Crome was so much better because it was free blah blah blah. He told me I was just kidding myself and that I was mad about wasting all of that money and that his car runs perfect on Crome, no flaws or anything. Idles perfect (lol, 200rpm ramping yeah ok). He just happened to catch a ride in my car one day and is now looking to buy a Hondata unit.

People are starting to move away from Crome as a whole. There aren't many tuners who want to tune it anymore, it's just not easy to deal with as a proffessional. All the **** that you need TO tune Crome is just as expensive as just buying Hondata or Neptune straight up. There's no datalogging with Crome, and if you really want to understand what your car is doing you NEED datalogging.

Like I've always said, you can have an outstanding setup with thousands of dollars poored into every aspect of the car... but a car is nothing without a brain. The ECU is the control of the car, it is so god damn worth the extra money it's not even funny. It is ALL IN THE TUNE, people don't seem to understand that I'm talking about not only engine life, but enjoyment out of the car. If it drives like **** you're going to hate the car.

Um, ok, went a little overboard.

Didder, do it once. Just buy the Hondata system the first time. You know this speech, patience.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:56 PM
HCF Member

wow, thanks a lot aaron, think you just saved me a world of headache... i thank God every day i pmed you when i first started my build, you saved me so many headaches!

new questions, where do i even begin with hondata? i have a p28 chipped ecu with a basemap on it right now, what else do i need in order to get tuned with a hondata program??

thx again aaron!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

sweetness... I wasn't so sure if I wanted to go with chrome, and so I decided (after reading around a bit) that I wanted to get the s300. it's too bad I never got to use it. My next car will have s300. lol

Good write-up sov. Makes me feel better about buying the s300.